Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   New additions to my brewery... (couple kegs and a burner) (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-additions-my-brewery-couple-kegs-burner-35718/)

TheFlyingBeer 08-06-2007 08:32 PM

New additions to my brewery... (couple kegs and a burner)
 
Spent the last few hours of what seems to be my only day off working on my newest additions to my brewing equipment. I picked up a couple of 1/2 barrel kegs from Craigslist for $20/each and got to work sanding and cutting them both. Both were in pretty good shape with only the expected scratches and light dents. Along with the kegs I used a giftcard I have had laying around for a while to purchase a Bayou Classic burner from the Home Depot. Check out pictures below.

http://theflyingbeer.googlepages.com/sandingkegs1.jpg
The keg on the left is for the most part untouched (removed the colored stripes), while the keg on the left has had its first encounter with the orbital sander.

http://theflyingbeer.googlepages.com/cutkegs1.jpg
A shot of the holes cut in the tops of each keg. I cut the keg on the left first and learned a few lessons from it before cutting the second one with a larger opening.

http://theflyingbeer.googlepages.com/kegsandburner1.jpg
New burner I picked up from Home Depot, cost about $47 or so after taxes and brought 5 gallons of water to boil in about 15 mins (lid off) during my first test.

I can't wait to put these new additions to use, time to go decide what style beer I want to brew next... might have to have a double brew day soon. I will most likely be giving the keg with the smaller opening up top to a friend and keep the other for myself. Just need to add a few tabs to the lids so they can be used during brewing.

McKBrew 08-06-2007 08:43 PM

Looks good.

98EXL 08-07-2007 12:37 AM

I hate you, ok, not really. Very nice additions, I'm jealous. How come I can never find cool stuff to brew with? Never any good burners or kegs to be picked up.....

FSR402 08-07-2007 01:32 AM

sweet, now don't forget the ball valve, thermometer, and s sightglass. :mug:

TheFlyingBeer 08-07-2007 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSR402
sweet, now don't forget the ball valve, thermometer, and s sightglass. :mug:

Well here is the deal, I am looking to add what you just mentioned... but I don't have access to welding equipment atm. Eventually I would like to weld a coupler in place but for now I need to go weldless. Just haven't had the time to piece together the equipment. What I am looking for is a weldless setup that would use the same diameter hole in the bottom of the keg so eventually I could go welded. Any ideas on parts?

98EXL 08-07-2007 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
Well here is the deal, I am looking to add what you just mentioned... but I don't have access to welding equipment atm. Eventually I would like to weld a coupler in place but for now I need to go weldless. Just haven't had the time to piece together the equipment. What I am looking for is a weldless setup that would use the same diameter hole in the bottom of the keg so eventually I could go welded. Any ideas on parts?

Do you know someone who can spend 20 mins to do the weld for you? Or, start looking in the yellow pages, it really can't be that much. Whatever size you pick for weldless, you can do for welded.....remember, the tig or the mig can do anything, so you should be more concerned about weldless IMH(drunk)O :D

AGBrewer 08-07-2007 08:23 AM

Weldless fittings typically use a 7/8 hole for a 1/2" coupler. The 1/2" couplers that I have welded in are 1 1/16" holes. So when you decide to go welded just up the size. Piece of cake

FSR402 08-07-2007 10:45 AM

I have all weldless, even though I work in a die shop and could just get it welded here or even do it myself for free.
But I'm lazy and don't feel like welding it. So, I went to weldless.

TheFlyingBeer 08-07-2007 02:15 PM

Figured I would pick myself up a setup off this site. Then I should be able to weld it in when I get back to school and have a workshop available once again. The prices are right so I don't feel to bad buying a bit of extra hardware.

Moonpile 08-07-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
Figured I would pick myself up a setup off this site. Then I should be able to weld it in when I get back to school and have a workshop available once again. The prices are right so I don't feel to bad buying a bit of extra hardware.

Wow, any idea why they're over $10 cheaper than NB for the same spigot kit?


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:40 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.