New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New 10 Gallon Herms! Pics!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #381
fc36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrck17 View Post
Fc36,

I am obviously not Pol, I think he has stopped using this forum over some drama with another one of his builds. Anyways I read in this post where he said that his elbow barb was 3/8" and he didn't think it would cause a problem. There is a possibility that he changed it later but I have not ever read that he did for sure. I see you quoted him saying his was 1/2", is he referring to his false bottom barb?

Anyways I have a nearly identical MLT and I use a 3/8 SS barb. I really have no way of knowing if would get more flow out of a 1/2" (everything else in my setup is 1/2") but I can say that it doesn't bottleneck my system. Mcmaster Carr has 1/2inch barb to 1/2" NPT elbow's but I think they are crazy expensive. Maybe try bargainfittings, if you must have it 1/2" you could use a 1/2" street elbow and a normal barb.
I have a few thoughts on this: 1) I am overthinking this and one part of my system shouldn't have that much impact downstream on other components as far as flowrate, pressure and what have you. 2) I am a chemical engineer and I just want it to look right and work right. I have found 1/2" NPT by 1/2" barb elbows in brass, nylon and PE for about $10-15 with shipping, but I want SS because that's what the f*cking false bottom came with and it looks snazzy. 3) I thought of the 1/2" street elbow with a 1/2" barb and it is way too large and bulky looking for my taste. Additionally, it's in brass and not SS, so I lose the snazz factor. 4) I may just get a 1/2" SS barb from bargainfittings and just let my hose do the turning for me. I'll keep the snazz factor and eliminate a potential bottleneck in my system. Thoughts patrick?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #382
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think that would work fine. I was a little annoyed myself when I couldn't find a elbow barb of the right size. I know what you mean about over worrying things I am an electrical engineer and have a tendancy to want to over design things even when it may not be necessary. Maybe call bargainfittings and see if they have ever seen that kind if fitting anywhere. Even a pm would work he is pretty active on the forum.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #383
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
I think that would work fine. I was a little annoyed myself when I couldn't find a elbow barb of the right size. I know what you mean about over worrying things I am an electrical engineer and have a tendancy to want to over design things even when it may not be necessary. Maybe call bargainfittings and see if they have ever seen that kind if fitting anywhere. Even a pm would work he is pretty active on the forum.
One step ahead of you buddy. I contacted Wayne at bargainfittings and he replied right away. He says he has a SS 1/2" elbow barb for $15 from a vendor of his. It's a bit pricey, so I'll have to wait to justify such a purchase. Costs almost half of what the damn false bottom cost by itself, but may be worth it to spring for it instead of paying $11.50 for a SS 1/2" hose barb and having the hose potentially be kinked by my grain load.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #384
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Exactly. I didn't realize he had the elbow barbs else I would have already ordered one. I'll probably get one myself. I'd recommend bargain fittings all day long. I was looking at buying SS unions for my keg HLT and it was looking like 27 bucks each from Mcmaster. He told me he had them for 6 each. At first I was nervous about the quality but I installed them and tightened them down and they worked great. I know what you mean about the SS swag, if you check out my build thread you can see most of what I got. Honestly it doesn't look like much but it adds up very fast. My thinking was that I would use it forever. Do it right the first time and I don't think you will regret it.

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Last edited by patrck17; 08-27-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #385
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYC View Post
4) Can you confirm you need a 1/2" elbow nipple from false bottom in mash tun? Right now I have 3/8", but thought that would restrict the flow too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer View Post
Many people use 3/8, but 1/2 just flows better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
4) You do not NEED 1/2" elbow from your false bottom. You are never going to use FULL PORT flow from the MLT anyway, right? All other plumbing I would suggest being 1/2".
Patrick and anyone else looking in on the false bottom portion of the thread need look nowhere else. I did some digging and found these on page 17 of this thread regarding the 3/8" elbow barb commonly found on 12" SS false bottoms. Guess I won't be taking up bargainfittings on their offer of a 1/2" elbow barb for $15 plus their standard $5 flat rate for shipping after all. Hooray! Now I don't need to blow another $20 on one single part until I get the itch a few months after completing this build and decide why not and spring for it anyways. Good old beer always helps delay the inevitable expenditure too. Hopefully I can complete this bad boy within the month and brew a wicked christmas ale on it for the holiday season.

Last edited by fc36; 08-27-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #386
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
Patrick and anyone else looking in on the false bottom portion of the thread need look nowhere else. I did some digging and found these on page 17 of this thread regarding the 3/8" elbow barb commonly found on 12" SS false bottoms. Guess I won't be taking up bargainfittings on their offer of a 1/2" elbow barb for $15 plus their standard $5 flat rate for shipping after all. Hooray! Now I don't need to blow another $20 on one single part until I get the itch a few months after completing this build and decide why not and spring for it anyways. Good old beer always helps delay the inevitable expenditure too. Hopefully I can complete this bad boy within the month and brew a wicked christmas ale on it for the holiday season.
Do it. Just be sure to send me one of those X-mas ales, it gets cold in FL. in winter. (Okay maybe not too cold, but was worth a shot).

Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #387
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
Do it. Just be sure to send me one of those X-mas ales, it gets cold in FL. in winter. (Okay maybe not too cold, but was worth a shot).
Update:
I decided since I've got a MAP gas torch and some lead-free solder lying around to take matters into my own hands. For roughly $6 I bought a 1/2" NPT female hose barb, a 1/2" copper 90 elbow and two 1/2" NPT male fittings. I sweated the male fittings and the 90 elbow together, threaded on the hose barb with a little tef-tape and then used the two 1/2" SS locknuts from my false bottoms original elbow barb and now I have a slightly larger, slightly more awkward, but all 1/2" setup.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #388
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
Update:
I decided since I've got a MAP gas torch and some lead-free solder lying around to take matters into my own hands. For roughly $6 I bought a 1/2" NPT female hose barb, a 1/2" copper 90 elbow and two 1/2" NPT male fittings. I sweated the male fittings and the 90 elbow together, threaded on the hose barb with a little tef-tape and then used the two 1/2" SS locknuts from my false bottoms original elbow barb and now I have a slightly larger, slightly more awkward, but all 1/2" setup.
Sweet, thanks for the followup. Looking good.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #389
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default HERMS Temp Spreadsheet

Hello,

Does anybody have a copy of the spreadsheet Pol sent out for the HERMS temp calculation with regards to this system?

Thanks
harley03

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"Wow! What a Ride!""

Old 11-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #390
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley03 View Post
Hello,

Does anybody have a copy of the spreadsheet Pol sent out for the HERMS temp calculation with regards to this system?

Thanks
harley03
I've also been trying to get a copy of that spreadsheet, but to no avail.

Quick Reply