Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New 10 Gallon Herms! Pics!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #351
jim4065
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wish I wasn't such a timid soul - now you've got me worried about these elements. Might keep one for the BK and try to swap the other for a short SS HD for the HLT. The ones I bought are that Incoloy stuff, but they're almost 13" tall which is going to make for fun times in the Rubbermaid. Manic -Depressive. Need another beer............

http://www.drillspot.com/products/27...V_Ripp_Element

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 AM   #352
smuth10
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New Guy Questions

I am in the process of building a replica of Pols setup and I have a few questions I did not see answers to in the 1000+ pages I just read.

1. What is the thread of the 1" SS hex nut I need to screw the element down to the HLT? A mcmaster item # would be great.

2. I want to use a 2000w element and I read the JC A419 or Ranco will only support 16amps. Of course the 2k element is 16.67 amps. Is anyone using a 2k element? If so, what did you use for your temp control?

3. I am a little confused on the thermocouple. I did not see any pictures of how this is brought down the the bottom of the HLT. I know Pol said he uses a SS tube to get it down there, but I was hoping someone could post a pic of their setup. It would be a great help.

4. Last really dumb ?. After the mash is finished and you go to sparge, are you just disconnecting the hose from the ball valve of the MLT and connecting the pump inlet to the ball valve on the HLT and then the outlet of the MLT goes into the BK, correct?

Thanks, Scott...
The FNG

Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #353
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuth10 View Post
I am in the process of building a replica of Pols setup and I have a few questions I did not see answers to in the 1000+ pages I just read.

1. What is the thread of the 1" SS hex nut I need to screw the element down to the HLT? It is just a 1" SS lock nut, it is NPS, straight thread.

2. I want to use a 2000w element and I read the JC A419 or Ranco will only support 16amps. Of course the 2k element is 16.67 amps. Is anyone using a 2k element? If so, what did you use for your temp control? Over the JC419 amperage... you need a PID and SSR probably

3. I am a little confused on the thermocouple. I did not see any pictures of how this is brought down the the bottom of the HLT. I know Pol said he uses a SS tube to get it down there, but I was hoping someone could post a pic of their setup. It would be a great help. It is a SS dip tube that is crimped at one end and pushed through a gum stopper. The JCA419 probe then goes down the tube into the HLT

4. Last really dumb ?. After the mash is finished and you go to sparge, are you just disconnecting the hose from the ball valve of the MLT and connecting the pump inlet to the ball valve on the HLT and then the outlet of the MLT goes into the BK, correct? YES

Thanks, Scott...
The FNG
Hope that helps

Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 AM   #354
smuth10
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It does. Thank you for getting back to me so quick. Looks like I will prob just go with the 1500w element.

I am working on putting in my order with McMaster right now and they have different threads for the SS nut, that is why I asked.

1"-8, 1"-12, or 1"-14 thread.

Thanks again for posting this thread. Outstanding!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #355
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
It does. Thank you for getting back to me so quick. Looks like I will prob just go with the 1500w element.

I am working on putting in my order with McMaster right now and they have different threads for the SS nut, that is why I asked.

1"-8, 1"-12, or 1"-14 thread.

Thanks again for posting this thread. Outstanding!!!
Dude, if you PM me your address, I can send you a SS nut for it, I have (2) on hand.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:45 AM   #356
smuth10
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I found it. It is a 1" NPSM fitting on those elements. Works with a 1" NPT which is 1"-12 thread. Thank you for the offer though. Fixin' to put in my first McMaster Carr order. Can't wait to get this thing up and running. Thanks again for all of your help. I sent you a PM with my email for those Excel SH's. Would be much appreciated.

Scott...

Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 AM   #357
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
I found it. It is a 1" NPSM fitting on those elements. Works with a 1" NPT which is 1"-12 thread. Thank you for the offer though. Fixin' to put in my first McMaster Carr order. Can't wait to get this thing up and running. Thanks again for all of your help. I sent you a PM with my email for those Excel SH's. Would be much appreciated.

Scott...
It is sent... anytime

Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #358
smuth10
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 2000w Heating Element

So it looks like I will be able to use the 2000w heating element with the Ranco Single Stage ETC-111000-000. I called the ETC Store and they have a relay they will install for $21 that allows it to control up to 20 amps. He said there is a light on it to let you know when it is over the normal 16amp capacity. I will have to make sure I have a separate 20amp plug just for the controller. Here is a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.rancoetc.com/etc-controllers-c-36.html

The guy was very helpful and said it would ship out today. $86 total with shipping.

Scott...

Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #359
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
So it looks like I will be able to use the 2000w heating element with the Ranco Single Stage ETC-111000-000. I called the ETC Store and they have a relay they will install for $21 that allows it to control up to 20 amps. He said there is a light on it to let you know when it is over the normal 16amp capacity. I will have to make sure I have a separate 20amp plug just for the controller. Here is a link if anyone is interested:

The guy was very helpful and said it would ship out today. $86 total with shipping.

Scott...
Awesome...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #360
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:

Scott...
That would be 15 not 16 amps on a resistive load, reread the specs.
Any stat working hard will pit the contacts and allow a wider span of temp control. If you wire it to a relay and let the relays contacts take the beating
the stats contacts will not pit and maintain a tight temp zone that repeats
dead nuts for many years.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Quick Reply