Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New 10 Gallon Herms! Pics!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #291
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Do you have any pics of the inside of your HLT? I need to build this.
When I get a chance, I will have to dig it up...

I would also hit up Brrman, we collaborated on how to successfully install the element in his cooler.

Look in my gallery, I have have a photo in there... I will look when I get a moment.

Here it is... obviously before I added the sight gauge. But, it is pretty simple.

The key is that you MUST reinforce the bottom of the cooler (inner shell) This has been done several ways, but bottom line is that you have to reinforce the area around the hole that you drill with about 1/8" (thick) of material (hard plastic) since the inner shell likes to warp and move when the temps rise in the HLT. If you do this, it wont leak a lick. This has been covered here and I think Brrman was the last to do this build.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #292
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I found this:

how are you sealing everything?

Also, do you have a way of measuring how much liquid is transfered between your HLT and Mash/tun?

Edit: oh you beat me to it.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #293
The Pol
Recipes 

You can use a silicone O-ring to seal the element (outside the cooler) and I would recommend getting a 1" straight thread SS nut from BargainFittings.com for tightening it (inside).

I have sight gauges on my HLT and MLT.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #294
The Pol
Recipes 

Default Latest System Upgrade

Here are some photos:

Keggle Fittings:

Keggle Recirc. Indside:

Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #295
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To The Pol,

Simply amazing system.
I'd been debating and planning different setups...Gas vs Electric...cooler vs pot...and I'd nearly resigned myself to having to buy a complete system as I just didn't have the wherewithal to pull off rigging LP without blowing myself up and the mysteries of electricity end with "I plugged it in, now what?"

Then I find this tread and think "I CAN DO THAT!"

Now I don't know if I can...but I sure know I will try.

So to you KUDOS!

Now on to my questions:
(And please excuse some of them if they seem dumb...but this electricity thing must trip a reason breaker in my noggin)

1) I found the picture of the HLT lid in your gallery and from what I saw, I didn't see the thermowell...has it been relocated or was it just not in for the picture? I'm assuming (if you didn't move it) it runs to somewhere close around mid-coil?

2) On my lunch break I ran out to HD and grabbed me a 1" threaded PVC coupler and 2000w element and honestly was expecting a bigger thing ("That's what she said"...there ruined it for everyone). Did I get the wrong gadget or are they really THAT small? The thing is only like 7" tall! Also none of them said they were water safe...but the whole section was for Water Heater elements...Item link...should I be concerned?

3) Plugging this stuff in...can I run all three things (pump, HE, stirrer) from the same outlet? Like off a power strip? [at least until I get an e-BK & controller like yours...which is a further future project]
How did you do it before you got the box?

4) On your MLT, you say you got the false bottom from Northern Brewer...assuming the 12" one ...it says it has a 3/8" hose barb on it...did you change to 1/2" or keep it as is?

All I can think of right now...but I'm sure I'll come up with more as I get building.

And if I didn't say it before...this is seriously killer

Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #296
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
To The Pol,

Simply amazing system.
I'd been debating and planning different setups...Gas vs Electric...cooler vs pot...and I'd nearly resigned myself to having to buy a complete system as I just didn't have the wherewithal to pull off rigging LP without blowing myself up and the mysteries of electricity end with "I plugged it in, now what?"

Then I find this tread and think "I CAN DO THAT!"

Now I don't know if I can...but I sure know I will try.

So to you KUDOS!

Now on to my questions:
(And please excuse some of them if they seem dumb...but this electricity thing must trip a reason breaker in my noggin)

1) I found the picture of the HLT lid in your gallery and from what I saw, I didn't see the thermowell...has it been relocated or was it just not in for the picture? I'm assuming (if you didn't move it) it runs to somewhere close around mid-coil?

The thermowell is a SS tube that the A419 temp probe slides down into. It fits through a hole in the center of the lid, in the center of the HLT and coil.

2) On my lunch break I ran out to HD and grabbed me a 1" threaded PVC coupler and 2000w element and honestly was expecting a bigger thing ("That's what she said"...there ruined it for everyone). Did I get the wrong gadget or are they really THAT small? The thing is only like 7" tall! Also none of them said they were water safe...but the whole section was for Water Heater elements...Item link...should I be concerned?

NO, they ARE that small, which is nice, because then you do not need to maintain a large volume in the HLT to keep the element submerged. Now, realize that you cannot control that element with an A419, you will need a PID and SSR since it is pushing 17A, the A419's max is 16A.

3) Plugging this stuff in...can I run all three things (pump, HE, stirrer) from the same outlet? Like off a power strip? [at least until I get an e-BK & controller like yours...which is a further future project]
How did you do it before you got the box?

Well, if it is a 20A circuit, yes. 17A for the element, <1A for the stirrer and 1.8A for the pump. Now, that is REALLY pushing a 20A circuit and you will want to make sure your power cord can handle 20A. Now this is over the 80% load rule, but that is for continuous loads and yours will not be continuous as the element will cycle on and off. But, you are really pushing it.

4) On your MLT, you say you got the false bottom from Northern Brewer...assuming the 12" one ...it says it has a 3/8" hose barb on it...did you change to 1/2" or keep it as is?

Kept it as is... all my other plumbing is 1/2" though. I cannot fathom a time that the flow restriction there would be an issue.

All I can think of right now...but I'm sure I'll come up with more as I get building.

And if I didn't say it before...this is seriously killer
Thanks, hope this answers some questions...

Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #297
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for letting me know about the 2000w element...didn't realize it was 20a (package doesn't say anything about amps...but hey HD sold it for < $10 same price as the 1500w btw) ... I'll grab a 1500w one and save this one for a future heat stick or brew kettle.

-Jay

Old 11-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #298
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
Thanks for letting me know about the 2000w element...didn't realize it was 20a (package doesn't say anything about amps...but hey HD sold it for < $10 same price as the 1500w btw) ... I'll grab a 1500w one and save this one for a future heat stick or brew kettle.

-Jay
Most things wont list amps... but take wattage/volts= AMPS

1500W/120volts = 12.5 AMPS

and so on.

You should catch one of my brewcasts or see some of my videos on the E HERMS...

Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #299
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They recorded somewhere?

I'd love to watch it happen captain!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #300
The Pol
Recipes 

Here are a couple vids from yesterday...

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2488590http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2489302
Here are my Youtube "build" videos...

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/videos.p...D=119#video119
http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/videos.p...D=120#video120

Quick Reply