Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New 10 Gallon Herms! Pics!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #21
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Yes, aside from the orientation and location changing, I also upgraded to all 1/2" fittings and tubing. Like I said, I dont know exactly what contributed to the great performance of my pump, or if it was a few things all together, but 7 gallons/minute and no priming problems is certainly nice. Like I said before, in its previous location and with the 3/8" tubing, it was almost worthless.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 02:48 AM   #22
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordWhite View Post
Can you post pictures of the inner workings of your HLT? I am interested in building something like this...
I will get to this when I get my stirrer installed... I still have to order it from McMaster. It is really quite simple... a 1500W heating element installed through the bottom of the tank, a 1/2" x 25' copper coil as a HERMS heat exchanger and then a stirrer attached to a small motor... oh, and the thermowell for the JC A419 to control the element. I will get picks of the details up soon.... thanks for the inquiry... Id be glad to help you with your build.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 AM   #23
RockfordWhite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I assume the heating element is 120v, so do you heat the water in the BK first then transfer to the HLT?

Also how do you attach the element to the bottom

Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 AM   #24
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 12 Posts

1/2" tubing is key, I agree. the fewer restrictions or hard corners the better it will flow. For those of you think that any bigger hose might be better stick with the 1/2". bigger hose although will flow more down hill or on a straight can cause problems when pumping uphill due to the added head weight and under some circumstances lower your flow due to the added weight when getting to heights over 1/2 total head. Found this out the hard way in another hobby.
nice job Pol.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:30 AM   #25
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordWhite View Post
I assume the heating element is 120v, so do you heat the water in the BK first then transfer to the HLT?

Also how do you attach the element to the bottom
The element is 120V... I do NOT heat any water in the BK. All of the water is heated in the HLT. With 9 gallons of water, prior to striking, I get 1F pre minute rise in temp. After transferring the strike water, the remaining water volume will rise 2F per minute. This is acceptable for me, it takes about 90 mins to reach my strike temp with 9 gallons, since it is monitored by the A419, I can set it and forget it and do other things.

The element is attached through the bottom by first drilling a LARGE hole throught the outer shell and insulation in the center of the cooler. Then using a smaller hole saw to drill a hole just large enough to accomodate the heating element. The heating element is installed through the bottom of the cooler and tightened by using a 1.25" ( I think ) threaded PVC coupling on the INSIDE of the cooler and tightening it on the threads of the heating element. I also constructed a water tight housing around the element electrical connections by cementing a large PVC coupling to the underside of the cooler and capping it off... leaving a hole just large enough to allow the cord to fit through.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #26
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's cool. I was just offering a suggestion, as I have made shelving with particle board and it has gotten wet and fallen apart. I agree with you that plastic would be awesome. Easy to clean up and no chance of it falling apart on you due to water.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #27
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
That's cool. I was just offering a suggestion, as I have made shelving with particle board and it has gotten wet and fallen apart. I agree with you that plastic would be awesome. Easy to clean up and no chance of it falling apart on you due to water.
Yes, the particle board came with the shelving, in the pic it is wet, due to some leaks from not having the hose clamps installed when I did my "dry" wet run on the system. Typically the wood never gets wet, the connections and fittings are nice and tight, but when the hoses got up to temp, they started dripping as I had not yet clamped them to the barbs. The plastic will be awesome, but it is expensive as all get out.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #28
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea I bet. All I can think of is very large cutting boards. I guess you could double as a caterer if you bought those.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #29
The Pol
Recipes 

I could... hrmmmm, a beer caterer!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #30
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If the particle board craps out.....you could just put plywood in there and treat it with deck sealer. Good job man....you got me jonesing to make an electric HLT out of my keggle. I really like the idea of putting the hlt on a timer so your water is hot when you get up in the morning

Quick Reply