Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New 10 Gallon Herms! Pics!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #11
Alemaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How stable are those brew stands? Where did you get them, and for how much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What temp is your tubing rated at?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

The brew stand is industrial shelving fom Lowes... I have used it for 3 years, and it is very stable, I like it. You can also reconfigure the shelves and such if you decide to re-design your brew stand every 12 months! Cost, $60 at Lowes.

The tubing, I am not sure what the "rating" is, but I have used it to transfer boiling water, with no issues, for the past 2 years. It is simply reinforced PVC from Lowes.

Last edited by The Pol; 08-18-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #14
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorg View Post
So, to get this straight before I modify my system AGAIN:
You used to have your pump mounted horizontally (compared to now, which I'm referring to as vertically) and you used to have the inlet side down -right?
And just mounting it vertically like this has made all the difference to ease of priming and to flow?
It used to be horizontal, YES, the inlet was DOWN and the outlet UP, and it worked like crap. Now I have changed alot, so I cannot say what was the magic bullet, but I mounted it vertically, increased my hose and fitting sizes, and mounted it UP near the tanks, instead of 3' below them. The combination of these things has made priming, a non issue. It can be dry, I crack the valves and turn it on and it pumps at 7 gal/min immediately.

Last edited by The Pol; 08-18-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You gotta love that. I know what you mean with the priming being a PITA. I may just try it your way for kicks, who knows! I've always liked that tubing, but was afraid of leeching at hi temps. I went ahead and got silicone, so I guess it's a moot point.

Great job on using what you have....you could've gone out and bought another vessel for the HLT, but you modded the cooler you already had. Do you find that you have to refill the HLT and start over with heating after you use the already heated water in the mash?

What are you using for a chiller?

Last edited by ScubaSteve; 08-18-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
You gotta love that. I know what you mean with the priming being a PITA. I may just try it your way for kicks, who knows! I've always liked that tubing, but was afraid of leeching at hi temps. I went ahead and got silicone, so I guess it's a moot point.

Great job on using what you have....you could've gone out and bought another vessel for the HLT, but you modded the cooler you already had. Do you find that you have to refill the HLT and start over with heating after you use the already heated water in the mash?

What are you using for a chiller?
I was really pleased to see that the pump works so well now. In my prior setup I was so disappointed in the performance of it that I almost removed it all-together.

I love the coolers, I have three keggles, but the coolers are SO much more efficient at retaining heat. (My modded HLT cooled from 170F to 120F over an 18 hour period) About the HLT, I only brew 5 gallon batches, fits my fermentor and kegs... so I heat 9 gallons to my strike temp.
I then pump about 4.5 gallons into the mash (depending on the size of the grain bill), the remaining 4.5 gallons is used as the heat exchanger water/sparge water. This comfortably covers the heating element and coil (7" in height).
Once my mash is complete, I turn up the heat on the HLT to 173F and continue to recirculate to reach mashout temp. Then I simply swap a hose and purge the HERMS coil with 173F water to clear out the remaining wort... THEN I swap another hose and begin the fly sparge and lauter.

Chilling is done with a another copper IC with garden hose fittings.

Last edited by The Pol; 08-18-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
RockfordWhite
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Can you post pictures of the inner workings of your HLT? I am interested in building something like this...

Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #18
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not entirely sure what it does, lol (I am new) but from a construction standpoint, it looks like the tops of your stands are particle board. This will fall apart as it gets wet. I would invest in some decent plywood to use as the top and put some primer on it to make it a bit more waterproof. There will be a fair amount of weight on the tops and you don't want to take a chance on your igloos falling through full of the beer you just brewed.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #19
The Pol
Recipes 

I have used the particle board for 3 years, it isnt the best, but I have yet to upgrade it. I would like to use a 1/2" plastic sheet instead of wood, that will be the next upgrade to the stand itself, but it is a lil pricey....

Old 08-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #20
Yorg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So Pol,
As part of the difference between your pump working crappily, and now, you moved from 3/8 id to 1/2 id Right???

Quick Reply