Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Never Use Pbw Again!!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #21
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Picobrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NW Portland, OR
Posts: 1,109
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I gotta agree with you with a couple caveats. I have soft water too and oxy is awesome. However, pbw can be used at much lower concentrations than what is specified on the label and still be effective. Same with oxy. Also, in my experience pbw is easier to rinse off and does in some cases get nasty stuff that oxy doesn't. I haven't experienced the reverse of oxy being MORE powerful, but YMMV.

I love oxy and am not planning on buying any more pbw any time soon. I use OxyFree and buy it at target in 3.5lb tubs. It is still expensive like this at about $2/lb. Do you have a better source? Its the only place I can find it without fragrance.

__________________
Picobrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #22
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
I gotta agree with you with a couple caveats. I have soft water too and oxy is awesome. However, pbw can be used at much lower concentrations than what is specified on the label and still be effective. Same with oxy. Also, in my experience pbw is easier to rinse off and does in some cases get nasty stuff that oxy doesn't. I haven't experienced the reverse of oxy being MORE powerful, but YMMV.

I love oxy and am not planning on buying any more pbw any time soon. I use OxyFree and buy it at target in 3.5lb tubs. It is still expensive like this at about $2/lb. Do you have a better source? Its the only place I can find it without fragrance.

I can go to Walmart or Deals (dollar store) and get SUN brand Oxy for $1 per pound.

Also, yes, in my case the Oxy cleaned this krausen ring much easier than my previous brew where I used PBW at the suggested concentration.
__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Before PBW I cleaned only with hot water from the tap... for THREE YEARS. Now, some of you claim that is skimping, but I have never had an infected batch. I have always sanitized with Star San, but that bottle is going on year #3. For CLEANING I used hot water and a brush or sponge.

Again, to each thier own... but since I only used hot water for 3 years to clean brewing items and never had an infection, I think it is silly to claim that NOT using PBW and using Oxy instead is skimping. That is as if to say that anyone not using PBW is skimping and putting thier brews at risk, which I would humbly have to disagree with. People had alternatives before PBW and they stil do after its introduction.

__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #24
SPLASTiK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 546
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I buy PBW at $2.28 a pound
Where from?
__________________
SPLASTiK is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #25
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLASTiK View Post
Where from?
Yah, that is like HALF of the lowest price I have been able to find anywhere...
__________________

The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #26
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default

My dollar store, Deal$, will actually sell me a 15 pound CASE of SUN Oxy Clean for $12... that is $.80 per pound!

Or I can get 8 pounds of PBW for $36! (plus shipping)

__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 AM   #27
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Picobrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NW Portland, OR
Posts: 1,109
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
My dollar store, Deal$, will actually sell me a 15 pound CASE of SUN Oxy Clean for $12... that is $.80 per pound!

Or I can get 8 pounds of PBW for $36! (plus shipping)
Hey Pol, is that stuff fragrance/dye free or does it have the blue bits in it? I gotta go to my local dollar store! (dollar tree here)

I had a much harder time rinsing off the fragrance filled stuff, so I switched to Oxyclean "FREE".
__________________
Picobrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #28
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
Hey Pol, is that stuff fragrance/dye free or does it have the blue bits in it? I gotta go to my local dollar store! (dollar tree here)

I had a much harder time rinsing off the fragrance filled stuff, so I switched to Oxyclean "FREE".
This is dye and fragrance free... I would not buy the scented stuff either! It worked amazing, and when I can get 15 POUNDS for $12... holy crappola!

At my current mixing ratio, that is 720 GALLONS of cleaner for $12... nice.
__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 02:20 AM   #29
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Picobrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NW Portland, OR
Posts: 1,109
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
This is dye and fragrance free... I would not buy the scented stuff either! It worked amazing, and when I can get 15 POUNDS for $12... holy crappola!

At my current mixing ratio, that is 720 GALLONS of cleaner for $12... nice.
Ok great! I'll have to go hunting for cheaper.
__________________
Picobrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 03:28 AM   #30
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 6,974
Liked 503 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Hah. I love it...Pol you're out of control...now you're so smitten w/ your new found love for Oxi...you're doing a solo bulk purchase...I have the same issues...

__________________
wilserbrewer BIAB bags
custom sized BIAB Bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable prices


Http://biabbags.webs.com/
wilserbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools