Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Never Use Pbw Again!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Glad you finally found your way POL. $4 per pound is outrageous for cleaner. Hell, I can usually find decent sirloin for less than that! I have always used either "automatic dishwasher powder", Cascade or any other brand, or generic oxi-clean from family dollar at a buck a pound.

Talk about mark-up on a specialty product...hah!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Glad you finally found your way POL. $4 per pound is outrageous for cleaner. Hell, I can usually find decent sirloin for less than that! I have always used either "automatic dishwasher powder", Cascade or any other brand, or generic oxi-clean from family dollar at a buck a pound.

Talk about mark-up on a specialty product...hah!
You know, you are skimping

Seriously though, I wish I had found this stuff sooner, I blew way too much dough on PBW.... ugh. Star San is pricelss, because nothing matches its performance and ease of use, IMHO the story is different with PBW.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
drost
Recipes 

Pol,

Glad you found the Oxy....I've been using it for years, buying the generic stuff for $1/lb from the Dollar store. It works great!

drost

"It isn't a matter of being a beer snob. Some people think a steak from Ponderosa is a great dinner out (Budweiser). Others would rather have a filet at one of the better steakhouses (craft beer). " --Pronger750

Old 05-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a stainless coffee decanter that goes with my coffee maker. After several batches of coffee, the insides get a bit dark. A soak in hot PBW for a couple hours eats away the stain and rinses clean.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
Dave R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've always used "Sun" cleaner. It's Oxyclean without the bleach crystals and it works great in my plastic BB fermenters and buckets. No scrubbing ever, just a soak for a couple of hours and it's good to go.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I've always used "Sun" cleaner. It's Oxyclean without the bleach crystals and it works great in my plastic BB fermenters and buckets. No scrubbing ever, just a soak for a couple of hours and it's good to go.
Yah, I am using SUN too. I didnt NEED a good cleaner until I got this HDPE fermentor, but I cant brush the heck out of it like I did with glass.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I have a stainless coffee decanter that goes with my coffee maker. After several batches of coffee, the insides get a bit dark. A soak in hot PBW for a couple hours eats away the stain and rinses clean.
I have a cheap glass Procter Silex coffee pot that gets rather filthy looking doing its morning duties, after a soak in the generic oxi it looks like new.

I'm sure PBW is great stuff, but come on, $4/lb!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 05-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
stoneman
Recipes 

The Pol, I'm glad my thread helped you. I bought the oxyclean knock off to clean my cornys, but after hearing the different ideas tossed around on here. I just thought I would try using it to clean my carboy. I thought it worked fantastic, eating krausen like nobodys business. Soaking instead of scrubbing always sounds better to me.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #19
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneman View Post
The Pol, I'm glad my thread helped you. I bought the oxyclean knock off to clean my cornys, but after hearing the different ideas tossed around on here. I just thought I would try using it to clean my carboy. I thought it worked fantastic, eating krausen like nobodys business. Soaking instead of scrubbing always sounds better to me.
Yeah, my fermentor was clean in about an hour... I dumped it, rinsed it with some hig pressure from my sprayer a couple times and put a couple gallons of Star San sealed up in it until my next brew day.

This will keep the fermentor ready and leave me with an ample supply of sanitizer for the future. I really love the SUN Oxy Clean at $1/pound and the mixing ratio is A LOT less than PBW recommends on thier packaging.

FWIW... when I cleaned my fermentor with 1.5 oz/gallon of PBW, the fermentor still REEKED of my previous brew. Now I noticed today that my fermentor that was cleaned with .33 oz/gallon of OXY has no hint of the smells of fermentation whatsoever. It smells new!

I mean I used 1/3 oz per gallon and it ate the krausen off like mad. PBW recommends like 1-2oz per gallon? That seems like A LOT when you are trying to fill a BK to soak.

Last edited by The Pol; 05-31-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #20
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

PBW and Oxyclean are both great cleaners in there places. I'd keep both on hand and use them for different applications. Oxyclean is good for stripping labels off bottles, pre-cleaning, etc. PBW, for final wash and rinse on ALL surfaces, and I finish with star-san. A truly excellent sanitizer. It's a bit pricey, but for over all effect it's priceless. Also, if you're careful, you can cover it up and keep it for a few brew sessions, streching your dollar. My over all point is that cleaners are all good for THIER applications, and it's wise to be diverse and keep several kinds on hand in your collective breweries, and use them for what they are specifically made for and safe to clean. In the world of brewing, I agree with EDwort and don't skimp. It can cost more money dumping batches than using the proper cleaners and methods.

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!

Quick Reply