Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need suggestions for dis-connects

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
cptsparkle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need suggestions for dis-connects

Hello all,

I'm currently assembling the parts to build a three vessel, same level, 10 Gallon, all grain system. I would like to install quick dis-connects between the outlet of the HTL and MT and the inlet to a March pump. I will have a March pump between the HLT and MT as well as the MT and BT. I'm interested in running flexible tubing from the two outlets to the two inlets of the pumps as to facilitate removing the kettles for cleaning. Obviously, I will need quick dis-connects from the ball valves of the drain of both the HLT and MT. Each vessel is a 30 1/2 gallon converted Sanke keg.

Construction will commence immediately upon my return to the states from the sands of Iraq.

I need suggestions for disconnects. Brand, type, suppliers, etc, as well as tubing types.

Thanks folks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Consider going to Home Depot or Lowes and getting the quick connects associated with aircompressors. They come in a couple of sizes the brass ones would probably be the most appropriate.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
auto
ARC Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsparkle View Post
Hello all,

I'm currently assembling the parts to build a three vessel, same level, 10 Gallon, all grain system. I would like to install quick dis-connects between the outlet of the HTL and MT and the inlet to a March pump. I will have a March pump between the HLT and MT as well as the MT and BT. I'm interested in running flexible tubing from the two outlets to the two inlets of the pumps as to facilitate removing the kettles for cleaning. Obviously, I will need quick dis-connects from the ball valves of the drain of both the HLT and MT. Each vessel is a 30 1/2 gallon converted Sanke keg.

Construction will commence immediately upon my return to the states from the sands of Iraq.

I need suggestions for disconnects. Brand, type, suppliers, etc, as well as tubing types.

Thanks folks.

Just did this to pump from Boil into chiller. 1/2 couplers on the March, and used thier quick PolY Disconnects on each side, works great. Evertyhing I needed from Mark at Midwest Brewing Supply. Thanks for serving

Old 05-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Your going to find a lot of people suggesting the brass QD from http://www.mcmaster.com/ Search for part 6739K64 and 6739K59 on their website. They are very affordable and work just great. The only downside is you'll need to wear some gloves when using them while hot

Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Your going to find a lot of people suggesting the brass QD from http://www.mcmaster.com/ Search for part 6739K64 and 6739K59 on their website. They are very affordable and work just great. The only downside is you'll need to wear some gloves when using them while hot
That's what I use. They're cheap and work great. And c'mon, they don't get that hot. I haven't had to use gloves yet.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yup, I grab bare handed when I'm moving 170F liquids but I go for a rag when If boiling liquid has been running.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Gordie
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
In the past month I did exactly what you're planning on doing. I ended up ordering the McMaser brass "coolant" QDs. I put male connects on the pump, ball valves, etc. and females on the tubing. It works great and made life much easier. They get a little hot but not too bad. With the females on the tubing its relatively easy to one-hand the disconnect with a glove on as well. This is what I ordered:

3038K261 High-temp Nsf-51 Silicone Rubber Tubing, 1/2" Id, 3/4" Od, 1/8" Wall, Translucent

6739K59 Straight Through Coolant Hose Coupling, Plug, 1/2" Nptf Male, 3/8" Coupling Size

6739K64 Straight Through Coolant Hose Coupling, Sleeve-lck Sckt X Barb For 1/2"hose Id,3/8"cplg Sz

Gordie

Last edited by Gordie; 05-12-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
That's what I use. They're cheap and work great. And c'mon, they don't get that hot. I haven't had to use gloves yet.
You tried running boiling liquid through them? Gets pretty hot. From the HLT, MLT, or cleanup I don't need the gloves.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Hill Country Brewer
Recipes 

Based on all the suggestions, I have these QDs on the way.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
You tried running boiling liquid through them? Gets pretty hot. From the HLT, MLT, or cleanup I don't need the gloves.
Sure, but the only time I'm switching them around is before the boil. Once I reach the boil and they're connected, I don't have to move them around until I'm done chilling (when they're cool). You'd have to be really stupid to grab them during a boil.

Quick Reply