Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need help setting gap on Monster Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Need help setting gap on Monster Mill

I have a 3 three roller monster mill. I have it mounted and motorized, but I can't figure out a good way to set the gap.

I know the top rollers are fixed. I have a feeler gauge, but I have 2 questions:

1) Which rollers do put the feeler gauge between? The motorized roller and the bottom roller? Or the non-motorized roller and the bottom roller.

2) How do you do this? With the side plates, hopper and mounted to the table it seems impossible. Even unmounted it seems very awkward to say the least.

Are you supposed to remove the hopper and the side plates to set the gap with a feeler gauge? This seems like a lot of work just to adjust the gap, no?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm stumped.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I check then gap between the drive roller and the third roller. I make sure to set it on a level surface. I remove the mounting plate and the hopper(yea it sucks). Not sure if this is correct or not. Their website only talks about setting the gap on the 2 roller mill.

My hop stopper

Old 09-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

With the way you have it set, can you go from underneath?

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnef View Post
With the way you have it set, can you go from underneath?
Not really. I tried, but it's pretty hard if you want to be accurate. I can't reliably get the feeler gauge between the mechanized roller and the third roller, let alone adjust the knob. It's a 3 roller mill so you'd need like a 90 degree feeler gauge, and even then...

I'm a little annoyed with Monster Mills on this one. They provided very little in the way of documentation and now I find out it's a lot of work to adjust this one. I wasn't anticipating that. Then again, I'm rarely as patient as I should be when shopping. I read quite a few threads, though and no one mentioned this issue. Oh, well. I'm off to disassemble the mill to adjust it.

I just hope I can get a mill setting that works. Changing it is clearly a PITA!

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Some folks have replaced the side thumb screws with bigger/knob bolts. I had a jam this weekend and nothing sucked more than having to look for the right tools in the middle of a brew day. I'm in the process of replacing all the key disassemble bolts/screws with wing screws and other bits that don't require tools.

Bolt/screw sizes:
hoppers are 8-32 x 3/8,
mill bolts are 1/4-20 x 1 1/4
gap lock bolts are 1/4-20 x 2

Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

...and after adjusting the gap, should you find that the crush still isn't quite where you want it, you get to go through all that hassle again and often more than once. IMO, the lack of on-the-fly adjustment is a major design deficiency with these mills.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
...and after adjusting the gap, should you find that the crush still isn't quite where you want it, you get to go through all that hassle again and often more than once. IMO, the lack of on-the-fly adjustment is a major design deficiency with these mills.
I think the idea is that if you set it for .040 you can adjust it a bit without taking it all apart, but this is a good point.

I set my gap for 0.036. I had some old grain laying around and I gave it go. The mill jams anytime there is more than a tiny bit of grain in the hopper. Doesn't matter whether I turn it on first or not.

I'm wondering if my 40 in/lb gear motor can handle the job. Reversing it and then going forward again gets it working, but it quickly jams if there's more than an inch of grain in the hopper.

So... do I take it apart again and try to make sure everything is square? Make the gap slightly larger? Start thinking about a more powerful motor?

Geeze... need a homebrew. Any advice is appreciated.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 09-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I make a line on the knob with a sharpie, then adjust the gap to a few gaps and mark the mill. That way I can adjust it without taking it apart. Not sure the gap is the feeding issue. The top rollers are a fixed gap.

My hop stopper

Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
I think the idea is that if you set it for .040 you can adjust it a bit without taking it all apart, but this is a good point.

I set my gap for 0.036. I had some old grain laying around and I gave it go. The mill jams anytime there is more than a tiny bit of grain in the hopper. Doesn't matter whether I turn it on first or not.

I'm wondering if my 40 in/lb gear motor can handle the job. Reversing it and then going forward again gets it working, but it quickly jams if there's more than an inch of grain in the hopper.

So... do I take it apart again and try to make sure everything is square? Make the gap slightly larger? Start thinking about a more powerful motor?

Geeze... need a homebrew. Any advice is appreciated.
IIRC, the general recommendations for minimum torque was approximately 50 in-lbs, but this is only a ball park number and it will be different for various mill designs.

You can mitigate the problem by restricting the flow of the grain onto the rollers. Visualize the grain entering the mill through a relatively narrow port. It will spread out across the rollers as it gets pulled in. The grain feed rate and roller rpm will affect how wide the grain spreads out. IOW, you can slow the milling rate by narrowing the feed chute so the rollers are not covered completely from end to end. An adjustable feed chute in the bottom of the hopper would be ideal. Something like a simple sliding plate would do it. There are some other threads that discuss restricting the feed rate.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Dgonza9
Recipes 

hmmmm, I think I might just go with a bigger motor. I have a blower motor sitting around. Maybe I can get a gear reducer. I don't want to use sheaves.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Quick Reply