Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need help figuring out how grain is getting under my MLT false bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
worldzfree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need help figuring out how grain is getting under my MLT false bottom

I have about three brews done on my new Brutus 10 styled system I built and each time I have been having issues during the recirculation and fly sparge getting grains under the false bottom and coming out through the dip tube. I am looking for some help figuring out what to try to prevent this from happening.

Here are the details of the system. Single tier Brutus 10 style system. Using kegs I converted as the vessels. The false bottom is a Jaybird folding false bottom (without the handle or supports underneath). The dip tube end has been cut to fit about an inch off the bottom of the keggle. I use a monster mill MM2-2.0 mill with a gap I have set at .043." I have made a couple 10 gallon batches and one five gallon batch all with the same results of getting grains coming through.

It's bugging the crap out of me that I get a descent amount of particulates getting pumped over to the BK. The goal is a minute level. Any idears?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

take something like a piece of string or a small straw or toothpick or something and make sure it is seated well all the way around the edges, as that is where mine tend to come throught if I don't seat it well. As a safety measure, I use a plastic scrubby under dip tube to make sure nothing comes in to clog the lines...

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 10-26-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
worldzfree
Recipes 

thanks for the advice. so is that most likely it? something is getting in on the side?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

unless the grind is too small for the holes in the false bottom...

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use a stainless scrubbie under my dip tube and it works great. Keeps all the little bits out.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Broken record... spendy but the best I've used is the Pico style false bottom

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
worldzfree
Recipes 

Well I am back to this thread I started. I am investigating a few different options now. First off, how does that PICO false bottom work in a traditional welded coupler/diptube configuration? Does it sit on top of all those things?

Here is what I have tried and I still get a decent amount of particulates coming through.

-Increased my gap on my mill to up to .045
-Rice hulls mixed with the mash
-My false bottom is a hinged false bottom and I have held it in place with a SS hose clamp on the dip tube holding it down

I am starting to wonder if I am creating a vacuum with my Little Giant pump and the bottom is pulling down in the middle and the edges are lifting on the sides letting grain through.

I am thinking of trying the following.

-Try a PICO false bottom
-Try a Sabco false bottom that has legs under it to keep it from bending
-Try a smaller (mine is currently 15") false bottom that is a solid piece instead of a folding

Would love to figure this out. It's sorta driving me mad these days.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 425

If you think you might be pulling vacuum, try making a grant. Use it for a brew or two and see the results. You may decide you like having it anyway regardless of whether or not it solves the problem.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It might just be bowing inward a bit like you think.

What sort of support is in the middle? Maybe use a couple of supports under each side of the hinge to be sure it stays flat.

Wayne

Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
NEW - KENT CARBONATION CAPS AND QUICK DISCONNECTS

BargainFittings.com

Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

How much grain is getting through? I have a jaybird false bottom 12" ( non hinged) I used a hose clamp on the dip tube to make sure the false bottom sits tight against the bottom. I don't direct fire so I didn't need a full 15" bottom. It's a herms and recirculated and only a tiny bit of very fine grain was below the false bottom when I cleaned it out. It must be coming through the edge. Do you have a dent in the keg near the edge? It might not sit flat and grain might get through.

Quick Reply