New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need Help with Boil Kettle and Draining please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
mitchar19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Need Help with Boil Kettle and Draining please!

Hey guys I need some help improving my boil kettle/chilling and draining methods. I had initially planned on boiling using a false bottom in a Blichmann Boiler Maker using whole hops to filter the wort on it's way to a plate chiller to the fermenter.The only problem with that is apparently using a Blichmann false bottom during the boil can cause worth scorching. So my next plan is to not use the false bottom at all and simply use hop bags for my hops and send the wort through the dip tube into the hop rocket, then into a plate chiller and then into my fermenter. Will this work and are hop bags even necessary for whole leaf hops? Thanks a lot and I hope this question makes sense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rather than using hop bags, why not make a hop spider. I use on on the keggle and it works great.

Kegged
- Chocolate Milky Stout, Bevarian Hefe
, Nut Brown Ale, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port

North Florida Brewers League

Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
Brian4x4
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
Rather than using hop bags, why not make a hop spider. I use on on the keggle and it works great.
I just started reading about these a few days ago and I am for sure making one for my setup. Looks like they work great especially for plate chillers and all around cleaner beer.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 250

If you are going to use gravity to drain, just a simple SS scrubie should do the trick. I use one shoved over my dip tube and I cut a small hunk of one off and placed that inside the dip tube. Nothing gets through. I've used as much as 18 ounces of whole hops in a 15 gallon boil with no clogs and no hops leaving the BK. No need to go fancy when simple does the trick.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Quick Reply