Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need a good thermometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
brewtoomuch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need a good thermometer

I am building my single tier system and need 2 digital thermometers that I can make my own probes that are long enough. Tell me people are using please. I feel like I should know this but am having a brain fart.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I use this one
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=120845&RN=210

has a 3 foot probe, timer, and an alarm that can go off at a target temperature, as well as a magnetic base.

Last edited by Arkador; 10-13-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I had one of those pictured above and it went pretty wonky after a few batches, bought another, and had the same thing happen again. Then I bought a Thermapen, which I really like and have been using for quite a while now.

I've been extremely happy with the thermapen, and as such I have recently gotten a new handheld mini thermocouple from the same company, along with a couple of different probes so that I can use it for various purposes. Waterproof probes for monitoring mash and fermenter temps, instant-read stick probes for checking grain temps, etc.

It's might be more than you're looking to spend, though.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

You have to be careful with the types of thermometers pictured above. If the braided wrap on the temp probe gets wet it craps the bed. I had one and it went on my first all grain batch. I think Bobby M posted a guide to wrap the temp probe to effectively make it water proof/resistant.

Many people like thermapens but they are a rather expensive option. Highest of quality I'm sure but not in my budget right now. I had thermometer troubles and recently bought a $7 glass lab thermometer which is accurate although fragile. It works well enough for me as of now.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:43 AM   #5
b767fo
Recipes 

+1 for the water hazard in the braided line. Had that happen a couple of times - just put as much braid as you can into a 350deg oven for 30min or so. Or just wrap it tightly with some electrical tape.

Quick Reply