New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > In need of a good thermometer!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default In need of a good thermometer!

I was using a digital oil/candy thermometer that we had already to monitor temps during steeping and mashing. However, it fell into the wort, got wet, and died. Crap.

Anyway, I'm looking for another digital thermometer, preferably one that has a long probe so that I don't have to hang the entire thermometer into the kettle with string. Anyone have any suggestions? I found one (based on a pic I saw of someone doing a mashin the gallery) called "trutemp". It's a meat thermometer, and it's built so that the unit itself sits outside the pot/oven, and the probe is on a long wire that can be stuck into meat, or, in this case, hung in the kettle. Does anyone know if it's a good unit for mashing and steeping? Or do you have a better one...one that's not too expensive (the trutemp is $15). Thanks!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Those digital, remote probe meat thermometer work quite well. I have the Pyrex Professional model. I got it from Bed, Bath & Beyond for $20.

One work of caution though, the braided steel sheathed cord and the connection were the cord attaches to the probe cannot get wet. Only stick about half of the probe into the wort, and don't get the cord wet when you clean the probe. If you do get it wet the readings will be off. It won't be ruined necessarily though. I had this happen, but I just put the entire probe/cord into a 350˚F oven for about 30 minutes to thoroughly dry it out and it read correct again.

John

Old 08-31-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
waskelton4

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Those digital, remote probe meat thermometer work quite well. I have the Pyrex Professional model. I got it from Bed, Bath & Beyond for $20.

One work of caution though, the braided steel sheathed cord and the connection were the cord attaches to the probe cannot get wet. Only stick about half of the probe into the wort, and don't get the cord wet when you clean the probe. If you do get it wet the readings will be off. It won't be ruined necessarily though. I had this happen, but I just put the entire probe/cord into a 350˚F oven for about 30 minutes to thoroughly dry it out and it read correct again.

John
i was going to reply but this said exactly what i would have..

here is a picture of it in "action"

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!

Primary - AHS Mild Ale

Old 08-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I used one from the Pampered Chef:
https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=611&words=thermometer

Has a built-in timer that lets me know when I've hit correct tempertures. Also very accurate.

As stated above I was bummed when it stopped working and gave seriously off temps. But someone suggested heating the probe to 350 for 20-30min and it's worked great since!

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 08-31-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't want to worry about getting the probe wet but still want digital?
http://www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/ProductID.1154/id.22/subID.174/qx/default.htm

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I use this one. The Micromatic page says it's only good to 120 F, but the packaging says it's good up to 220 F. Works well, but it's hard to suspend in a pot, so I just take sample readings.

...and my wife insists that I broke the Pampered Chef model mentioned above...the probe is baking as we speak...I hope that fixes it!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
ryser2k
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
Don't want to worry about getting the probe wet but still want digital?
http://www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/ProductID.1154/id.22/subID.174/qx/default.htm
Sigh... there goes another $35!

Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
wstein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22

John
"sigh" I wish I know this 3 weeks ago. Mine went haywire and I ended up throwing it out.

Paul

The chicken was involved, but the pig is committed.

Primary
nada
nada
Secondary
nada
nada
Bottled
SPNA Clone, Anchor Our Special Ale (1995), London Cream Ale, American Virgin Raspberry Wheat, Munich Monkey Ale, Bones Brown Ale
Up Next
a Hobgoblin Ale clone or a chocolate stout

Old 08-31-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
"sigh" I wish I know this 3 weeks ago. Mine went haywire and I ended up throwing it out.
I almost threw mine out as well, but I did a quick Google search and by chance found a thread on a cooking forum where they were discussing this, and someone posted the solution.

John

Old 08-31-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.

Recipes 

Liked 574 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 52

It's been 30 minutes (well, more like an hour...good thing I was just baking metal...mostly), and the damn thing works perfectly again! Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply