New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > need gas burner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
peterfuse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default need gas burner

ive done two partial mashes so far and ive been thinking about moving to all grain and i'm trying to do it for next to nothing. ive got an old keg and il pick up a cooler box somewhere for mashing. i have an old gass bbq in my garage which will never be used and it has a 2 burner system, im guessing around 30,000 btu per hour. would this be enough power to boil the 6.5 gallons of water or so in my keggle?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you have the keggle and the BBQ, why not try boiling about 7g water?
Even if it does work, by guess is that much of the heat would escape and not be directed to the keggle. This would result in high propane usage, and it may well be cheaper in the long run to invest in a dedicated burner.

-a.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dude! If you can part with $65 go with the bayou classic high-pressure burner, http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-KAB4-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0009JXYQY/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1/105-8569791-7252427

this is fast! I'm thinking I can get 4-6 1 hour boil sessions per regular gas grill sized propane tank. Yes, it is a energy pig but my time is important. Others have opinions here... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26156&highlight=210%2C000

Cheers!

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfuse
...and i'm trying to do it for next to nothing....

Thanks
Sorry, I should really stop skimming
EDIT: I'm such a turd. double sorry. Yes, Ireland sounds much better than where I'm from

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Last edited by uuurang; 04-15-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: ignorant dumbass

Old 04-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Castledawson, Ireland sounds like an awesome place to live, but you prabably don't have a Wal-Mart there, huh? I think you need at least need a basic turkey fryer set-up. Good luck, tho.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
peterfuse

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

hey yeah ive been looking everywhere for turkey fryer burner type things here in Ireland and the UK but i cant find them. im not going to pay for postage from the US cus that'd be crazy. then i looked at some UK homebrew forums and everyone seems to use electric elements borrowed from kitchen boiling kettles or immersions heaters. they also use plastic boiling pots which sounds wired to me. would anyone recommend this setup because i cant find these gas burners on local sites anywhere?

PS i took the bbq apart and fired up the gas burner and it wasnt a very impressive flame. i'd image 7gallons of water and a large SS keg would take a large amount of heat to boil?

Old 04-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You guy know that those 'banjo burners' were originaly made for water heaters?

When I started on the cheap, I used a burner from a wall heater. It would have worked better if it was for propane, it was for natural gas. So it was a bit smokey. Until I found a turkey fryer without the pot, but with adjusable regualator, for $5.

Anyhow, salvaging an old gas water heater burner could be the cheap ticket, especialy if it is for propane. I used the control mechanism too- it gave me a pilot light system too.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

57 batches so far,
33 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
22 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Quick Reply