Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need advice on thermometers for Rubbermaid 10 gallon coolers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Gumbys_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have the extended bulkhead with compression fitting from brewhardware.com on my 10 gallon igloo. it works great with zero leaks.

Bottled- empty
Keg 1- Irish Blonde Ale
Keg 2-empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #12
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbys_Brew View Post
I have the extended bulkhead with compression fitting from brewhardware.com on my 10 gallon igloo. it works great with zero leaks.
Thanks, Gumbys!

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

On deck: none
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 12-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippel-A View Post
I used Brew Smith 2 for the first time, and I couldn't find a place to say whether I'm preheating the MLT or not. I'm going to continue to aim high and patiently wait for my water to hit strike temp until I've got more experience under my belt.
The software adjusts for it. You just enter the temperature of the mash tun along with the temperature of the grain. No need to preheat it.

Quote:
If I could get another burner and a pot for the same price as a thermometer I'd be a happy camper. Major cost differential there.
I guess that depends on your definition of major cost differential.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
The software adjusts for it. You just enter the temperature of the mash tun along with the temperature of the grain. No need to preheat it.
Thanks. I'll look for that next time. I've used it once so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
I guess that depends on your definition of major cost differential.
The cheapest way I know to get another burner and a pot is to get a turkey fryer on sale (which is what I brew in now) for somewhere between $80-100. I won't use it for anything else. I will also need a pump, so that I can fly sparge from the HLT turkey fryer on the ground into the MLT (whereas now I can just put my Rubbermaid cooler up on bricks on top of a patio table).

The thermometer I'm planning to get is this one, which I can use for other things, like cooking. http://www.brewhardware.com/thermome...n-remote-probe It is $20. I'll also want parts for a thermowell, which will cost an additional $21. The thermometer option is therefore less than half the additional turkey fryer option, and I'll have purchased something that I'll use for other things.

Another option, I suppose, would be to spend hundreds on the brew kettle and burner that I really want, and use my existing turkey fryer as the HLT, but I'm not going to make that investment until I've gotten good enough and brew all-grain frequently enough to make it worthwhile.

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

On deck: none
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 12-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippel-A View Post
The cheapest way I know to get another burner and a pot is to get a turkey fryer on sale (which is what I brew in now) for somewhere between $80-100.
You can find them for $40-$50 if you look.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
Gumbys_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://www.lowes.com/pd_406086-1337-...7C1&facetInfo=

Cheap good burner. You can even go cheaper with this http://www.lowes.com/pd_406413-1337-...7C1&facetInfo=
Bottled- empty
Keg 1- Irish Blonde Ale
Keg 2-empty

Old 12-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
EarlyAmateurZymurgist
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 37

A round beverage cooler can be a very effective and much easier to manage hot liquor back than a non-automated kettle. The key is to ensure that your sparge water is around 180F going into the cooler. The sparge water temperature will stabilize in the low 170s and drop to around 168F by the time that it hits the mash/lauter tun when continuous sparging. Any overshoot temperature-wise can be handled via small cold water additions just before you get ready to sparge.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I agree with going in hot. In fact, if the cooler was sitting in the cold garage, even 190F isn't out of the question. As mentioned, it's way easier to cool it off with some cold water than it is to dump it all back into a kettle to add heat.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply