Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Need advice on thermometers for Rubbermaid 10 gallon coolers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default Need advice on thermometers for Rubbermaid 10 gallon coolers

Hi, I'm fairly new to all-grain. I have 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers for my MLT and HLT. I'd like to add thermometers, so I don't have to open the lids to check temp.

My MLT has a domed false bottom that is already tricky to get in and out under the bulkhead, and I don't want to complicate that when I do this.

Should I get threaded weldless thermometers like those on bargainfittings.com, drill through the cooler, waterproof with o-rings, and plan on removing the MLT thermometer when taking the false bottom in and out?

Is there a better way to do through the wall thermometers that will still reach near the center of the mash without interfering with insertion/removal of the false bottom?

Should I drop a probe in from the top on a lead? Is there a best practice for that?

Thank you all for any help.

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

On deck: none
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My advice would be you don't need one.

Pre heat your tun, hit your mash temp, close the lid...go away for 60 minutes.

The cooler will hold your temp very well for 60 minutes...and extremely well for the 15-20 minutes that actually matter.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
My advice would be you don't need one.

Pre heat your tun, hit your mash temp, close the lid...go away for 60 minutes.

The cooler will hold your temp very well for 60 minutes...and extremely well for the 15-20 minutes that actually matter.
This would also be my advice for the mash tun. I occasionally check the temp after 60 minutes and the most it has dropped is 1 degree.

As for the HLT, drill a hole in the lid and stick the probe down through it.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Agree 100%. My Rubbermaid cooler usually doesn't even drop 1 degree over a 60 minute mash. Unless you really, really want one, you don't need it. Spend the money on something else!

Old 11-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post

This would also be my advice for the mash tun. I occasionally check the temp after 60 minutes and the most it has dropped is 1 degree.

As for the HLT, drill a hole in the lid and stick the probe down through it.
I'm probably over-reacting to noob problems. First time, I got my mash water up about 10 degrees higher than strike temp, as recommended, but got impatient waiting for temp to drop, and added cold water. Naturally, mash temp didn't stay where it needed to be.

Second time, I pre-heated the MLT and was patient on temp--no temp problems in the MLT. But my HLT was just holding sparge water too long, I guess, and it fell below temp. Maybe because it took so long to recirc until the wort ran clear.

The reason I'm interested in thermometers is so I can know if there is a problem *before* the point when I need things to be at a certain temp, especially in the HLT.

Trippel A

Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
Publius
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippel-A View Post
Hi, I'm fairly new to all-grain. I have 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers for my MLT and HLT. I'd like to add thermometers, so I don't have to open the lids to check temp.

My MLT has a domed false bottom that is already tricky to get in and out under the bulkhead, and I don't want to complicate that when I do this.

Should I get threaded weldless thermometers like those on bargainfittings.com, drill through the cooler, waterproof with o-rings, and plan on removing the MLT thermometer when taking the false bottom in and out?

Is there a better way to do through the wall thermometers that will still reach near the center of the mash without interfering with insertion/removal of the false bottom?

Should I drop a probe in from the top on a lead? Is there a best practice for that?

Thank you all for any help.
I just drop in the probe from my stc 1000 and close 'er up. The wire is plenty thin enough to allow the lid to close well. As the others have said, its not really necessary with a single infusion mash. I still prefer to have it in there for the peace of mind though.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippel-A View Post
I'm probably over-reacting to noob problems. First time, I got my mash water up about 10 degrees higher than strike temp, as recommended, but got impatient waiting for temp to drop, and added cold water. Naturally, mash temp didn't stay where it needed to be.
Use a brewing software that will tell you exactly what temp your strike water needs to be. Then there's no waiting for temp to drop or adding cold water.

Quote:
Second time, I pre-heated the MLT and was patient on temp--no temp problems in the MLT. But my HLT was just holding sparge water too long, I guess, and it fell below temp. Maybe because it took so long to recirc until the wort ran clear.
Take the money you're going to spend on thermometers and get another burner and pot for the HLT. You then have full control over the strike and sparge temps. IMO using a cooler for a HLT is asking for problems.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Use a brewing software that will tell you exactly what temp your strike water needs to be. Then there's no waiting for temp to drop or adding cold water.
I used Brew Smith 2 for the first time, and I couldn't find a place to say whether I'm preheating the MLT or not. I'm going to continue to aim high and patiently wait for my water to hit strike temp until I've got more experience under my belt.

Quote:
Take the money you're going to spend on thermometers and get another burner and pot for the HLT. You then have full control over the strike and sparge temps. IMO using a cooler for a HLT is asking for problems.
If I could get another burner and a pot for the same price as a thermometer I'd be a happy camper. Major cost differential there.

Trippel A

Old 11-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Thanks, Bobby, very helpful!

Trippel A

Quick Reply