Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Natural gas burner - need regulator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #31
BigRob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Up here at least, if you need a gas line run, you'll likely find it cheaper to get it done by a licensed guy that does side jobs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
bobbafett
Recipes 

You just cant switch from NG to LP with a regulator, you have to change the orifice. On low pressure LP for a 10" banjo your opening is 3/32". And natural gas is 1/8". You can change the orifice for the amount of btu's you need.

I have a single tier setup with 1 10" banjo and 2 7" banjo. I drilled the orifice to 1/8" for the 10" and it is perfect for NG. (I forget which size for thr 7" but it is the bit smaller)

I am using 1/2" black pipe attached with a brinkmann NG hose on my outside hookup for gas grills. Everything works great! No regulator and using brewtroller to controll everything.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #33
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Yeah, that's why I want the Williams brewing burner, because they sell orifices for both LP and NG to fit it. Then I could just swap out the orifice, hook up to the appropriate gas line, and it's off to the races...

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #34
Quaffer2222
Recipes 

Default Confirming setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedIdiot View Post
Yeah, that's why I want the Williams brewing burner, because they sell orifices for both LP and NG to fit it. Then I could just swap out the orifice, hook up to the appropriate gas line, and it's off to the races...
BeardedIdiot and Bobafet, I am also setting up a NG burner in my basement and wanted to confirm the equipment and layout...

1) I'd like to buy the following burner as it looks to be the right size for me
http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/618ng-10-jet-natural-gas-jet-burner.htm
2) Do I then get this NG adapter? Will it work on Bayou Classic?
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/TOPTIER-BURNER-NATURAL-GAS-ADAPTER-P2627.aspx
3) Then hose to Needle Valve
4) Needle valve to NG pipe from the house

I'm actually not doing this myself, I have a plumber doing this. But I don't know exactly what I need to go from the wall to the burner.

Thanks

Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

With the 10 Jet burner you have to replace all 10 jets to convert from NG to propane. It is cheaper and easier to start with a BG-14 burner then just swap the single gas jet fitting for each fuel.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #36
lucytsai
Recipes 

Default NG regulator and pressure

Hello Friend,

Are there different natural gas pressures in different areas of Canada? What is the normal pressure? Do I need a regulator for an outdoor gas heater that works at 4" w.c. if the natural gas pressure at my residence is 7" w.c.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman View Post
I'm a gas fitter/inspector here in Manitoba and when I hear about people hooking up to natural gas burners on their own it sometimes scares me...

For starters you need to ensure the pipe supplying the burner can provide enough btu's for it to operate correctly as well as the whole piping system to be sized to handle the full load of all gas equipment running simultaneously.

From there you need to find out what pressure your local utility provides your natural gas pressure within your residence. This will determine if regulators are required for the burner to operate correctly.

Also, depending on the area and location you're operating the burner, combustion air may be required as well as make up air if you're ventilating air outside.

Stay clear from combustible material as well as ensure your flame does not impinge on your kettle as it will create massive amounts of carbon monoxide and you won't be back to tell us your brewing tales. This applies for both natural gas and propane.

I could spout off about permits and insurance but if you're on here looking to DIY then you don't care about this and if your house burns down due to your burner well... you're SOL for insurance money.

So if anyone has questions on Natural Gas and installing it send me a message and I'll do my best to help you out!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #37
Hockeyman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucytsai View Post
Hello Friend,

Are there different natural gas pressures in different areas of Canada? What is the normal pressure? Do I need a regulator for an outdoor gas heater that works at 4" w.c. if the natural gas pressure at my residence is 7" w.c.?
7" is typical through out Canada. Either call your local utility and ask what pressure your home is at or look on your bill to see what the pressure factor is for billing.

Is there a gas valve on the heater? If there is, you won't need a regulator as most gas valves are rated up to .5 psi which is 14"wc so they can run either ng or lp with only needing to change the orifice to burn either fuel.

Last edited by Hockeyman; 08-29-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: can't spell...

Quick Reply