Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Natural gas burner - need regulator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #21
Jackjama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default You will need a regulator if your house is a 2 pound system.

Generally you would not need a regulator because the regulator at the meter is set for 1/2 psig or less. Some newer construction uses a 2 psig system. In this case every appliance would need to be regulated.

You can tell if you have a 2 psig system because it is run with flexible and smaller pipe.

If you are in doubt, you need to find out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackjama View Post
Generally you would not need a regulator because the regulator at the meter is set for 1/2 psig or less. Some newer construction uses a 2 psig system. In this case every appliance would need to be regulated.

You can tell if you have a 2 psig system because it is run with flexible and smaller pipe.

If you are in doubt, you need to find out.
My house is 26 years old, and all the natural gas line is the hard black pipe typical of natural gas line installations.

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you do go all the way back to the 1" trunk, you will have to use unions because you can't thread a fitting into the middle of a run.

Also, you want to leave some backpressure on the trunk so i would reduce to 3/4 before a long run to your brew area.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
Hockeyman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Also, you want to leave some backpressure on the trunk so i would reduce to 3/4 before a long run to your brew area.
Thats not how natural gas pipe is sized... Pipe is sized according to the load. There's no need to "backpressure" as the regulator ensures a constant 7" wc and will lockup and relieve excess pressure from the vent if pressure exceeds 7" wc when the attached appliances stop using gas.

Think of the pipe as a straw and your burners are sucking gas. If you reduce the pipe too much you will not allow the burners to get enough gas. This is why gas piping needs to be sized correctly.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Agreed. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedIdiot View Post
My house is 26 years old, and all the natural gas line is the hard black pipe typical of natural gas line installations.
STOP. If you call it "hard black pipe", this may not be a job for you. IMHO

Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
mikescooling
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman View Post
Thats not how natural gas pipe is sized... Pipe is sized according to the load. There's no need to "backpressure" as the regulator ensures a constant 7" wc and will lockup and relieve excess pressure from the vent if pressure exceeds 7" wc when the attached appliances stop using gas.

Think of the pipe as a straw and your burners are sucking gas. If you reduce the pipe too much you will not allow the burners to get enough gas. This is why gas piping needs to be sized correctly.
Lets call this pressure drop, "use of BTU's" and the supply gas line needs to be able to feed NG to everything running without dropping pressure to anything. Think of it like a water hose with lots of sprinklers (burners) and everytime some water is used the pressure drops. Now in this case when the pressure drops on say the furnace, the flame could burn the house down. I'm not saying I know it all, and in other parts of the country it's different. But I was a pipe fitter for 13years and take great pride that I never killed anyone,, that I know of.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
STOP. If you call it "hard black pipe", this may not be a job for you. IMHO
I called it "hard black pipe" to differentiate from the above person asking if it was the flexible lightly colored lines found in newer houses. I've worked with this before, and never had any issues.

Considering it is black steel pipe, I don't see what the problem with calling it "hard black pipe" is?

On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
mikescooling
Recipes 

I didn't mean to offend. I am bad about typing things and getting my message across the way I intend. The heart of what I am saying is running pipe is not hard but the rules of working with natural gas are unforgiving. I am old school in all my piping, names and know how. We called it iron (black pipe), plastic, or copper. I have been out of the trade for a few years, things have changed.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I didn't mean to offend. I am bad about typing things and getting my message across the way I intend. The heart of what I am saying is running pipe is not hard but the rules of working with natural gas are unforgiving. I am old school in all my piping, names and know how. We called it iron (black pipe), plastic, or copper. I have been out of the trade for a few years, things have changed.
No problem. I am VERY careful working with natural gas. Like I said, if I decide to set up a line in the basement, I may have a licensed plumber/HVAC guy run the line for me, rather than doing it myself. Just depends on how much it costs and if I decide I want to brew in my basement or not.

With planning on doing BIAB with a single keggle/burner, the existing line on my back deck will do for now, and if I get a burner that can run on either NG or propane, I can brew on the driveway/in the mouth of the garage if I want to as well.

Quick Reply