Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Natural gas burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Bookem15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

He title says it all I am looking for natural gas burner as I do not like the idea of using propane. I have a furnace for my garage so I have the gas line right there. I have search but it seems most if not all are for propane. Anyone have any ideas? Also I would like to buy a ready to use unit just hook it up and go.

Thanks

Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
JonathanS
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been very happy with the Blichmann Floor Burner (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...or-burner.html).

Have 1/2" gas supply line in my garage as well, going to the water heater. Put a T off of that (where the sediment trap used to be), put a quick disconnect and 1/2" natural gas hose (http://www.tejassmokers.com/NatGasHoses.htm) on there, and built a black iron pipe manifold that is mounted on my make-shift stand / steel mechanics cart.

I'm able to run 2 floor burners off that supply line at the same time (HLT + BK) if need be, though rarely happens.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The burner in the previous post is a Banjo by any other company and the only difference is orifice size.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 04-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
Bookem15
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Are there any burners that you do not need to rework to get them to run on natural gas? I am looking for plug and play

Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Yes, multi-jet burners can be had ready to use with NG. We just did some tests today running a 10 jet on NG with a needle valve. We were surprised to see the jet burner was more adjustable than a Banjo burner with the same valve on propane.

BayouClassicDepot.com sells natural gas jet burners

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Mike_M
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I recently bought two of these burners for my stands They are the 10 tip jet burners. They aren't exactly plug and play, but are made for natural gas. I have yet to brew with them, but I have run them through a few test boils. They put out a load of heat.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Kegerator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I picked up a Bayou Boiler, and I love it. It came with a quick dissonect that is the same that I have on my Gas Grill. http://www.bayouboiler.com/

Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
bobjohnson
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

With the Blichmann, you just select the natural gas option when ordering and they will send the orifice and needle valve you need for natural gas. This is about as plug and play as you will find.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
JonathanS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookem15 View Post
Are there any burners that you do not need to rework to get them to run on natural gas? I am looking for plug and play
Just to re-iterate what bobjohnson said, I did not have to do any reworking to get the Blichmann Floor Burner (linked above) to run on natural gas.

Initially, I ran it on propane using the included regulator. Later on, when I was able to invest in the natural gas quick disconnect and hose, I separately purchased the Natural Gas Conversion Kit, http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/n...or-burner.html, which consists of a needle valve and a different orifice. Supply line connection to needle valve is 3/8" flare, so you may need an adapter (Lowes / HD plumbing section) to step down from 1/2" flare, or whatever your supply line fitting may be.

You can find the burner and the Natural Gas Conversion kit on most of the major homebrew supply websites - do some searching around if it is out of stock.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
pbuelow
Recipes 

I'm about to build my own sculpture, and have been researching NG burners to death. How big is the blichman in terms of dimensions? It looks like it's perfect for what I want to do, but I'm going to be limited to 8 gallon kettles (14" diameter) in size based on where I'm going to be able to put the sculpture to connect to the house NG line. Basically, I'm not ever going to brew more than 5 gallon batches. Is this too big for what I want to do?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS