The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Natural gas brew stand - 23 tip burner to 10 tip conversion build.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #111
ChrisS68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/need...d-mods-171680/ Yambor44 uses a ball valve to control his burner with apparent success.

Odd thing is that he says his household pressure is only 2", which seems awfully low. Might be a regional thing. None of my appliances would even work at that pressure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #112
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 47

My father has tought natural gas heating at a technical college for about 20 years now and when I told him what I wanted to do, he set up the valves, plumbed in the gas line, etc. So... that's what I'm a little short of 100% knowing exactly the explanation... I was spoiled and basically had it set up for me.

I was having problems with soot until I simply freakin' asked him, "hey... I'm getting a ton of soot. what's the deal?"

"turn the valves down and get some more air in there."

I turned the valves down a bit, drilled some holes in my stand and viola... works perfect now.

According to the old man, natural gas is only pumped into households at between 2 and 3 lbs. Who knows... maybe there are regional differences... but that's why I was saying just a couple of posts ago that I don't think the valves I have are really acting like regulators in a really significant way... although... maybe they are.

like I was saying, I'm gonna grab the part #'s off my valves so I can look 'em up. I should be able to find out if they are regulating pressure... If nothing else, maybe someone would be interested in finding those actual valves as well. I'm pretty positive they weren't outrageously expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #113
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

My pressure at the rig is 8"W.C. with nothing running. 2 does seem really low.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #114
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS68 View Post
In this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/need...d-mods-171680/ Yambor44 uses a ball valve to control his burner with apparent success.

Odd thing is that he says his household pressure is only 2", which seems awfully low. Might be a regional thing. None of my appliances would even work at that pressure.
Thank you for posting that thread.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #115
thewurzel

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry I may have missed this somewhere but what is the optimum distance between the top of the burner and the bottom of a flat bottom kettle, for the most efficient burn using the 24 jet natural gas burners?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #116
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'm not sure I can give you the "optimum" distance but my kettle is about 5 inches off the top of my 32 tip burners and that seems to be working pretty well.

I don't think there's a lot of magic to the distance though. And when I say that, I mean I don't think there is a lot of difference between 5 inches and 7... or 8. 1 or 2 is too short and a foot and a half is probably too far... but as long as you can adjust your flame to burn all blue with a kettle sitting on top of it, you should be able to put it withing a range of 5 inches to... maybe... 9 or 10.

My suggestion would be to adjust your flame, put some water in your kettle and place it temporarily, using some sort of spacer, at different hieghts so you can make sure you're still getting a nice blue flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #117
lazybean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i am in the process of setting up my rig to NG, currently propane/electric. One of the biggest problems i have seen with controlling the Jet-type burners is every one puts the ball valve right at the burner. I think this causes the NG to accelerate when entering the mixing chamber, causing all the problems with throttling down the flame. Were as CapeBrewing's valves have several feet of line to balance out before the mixing chamber. (from what i see in the pics)

A perfect example of this is a garden hose. I have a brass ball valve on the end of my garden hose, if i crack it open water shoots out about 10ft in a sharp jet, but if i open it all the way and crack open the ball valve at the beginning of the hose, i get a low pressure trickle of water. Same amount of water but at a much lower velocity.

I was debating on getting a Hurricane or a Jet burner, but i think ill go with the jet just so i can put this theory to the test, and if it fails ill just plug some jets.

What you guys think?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #118
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Well, when you're running say three burners on a rig, would you put the valve 9 feet away on three separate runs?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #119
lazybean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yambor44's build looks like he only has about 6" and a 90* elbow between his ball valve and burner, and looks like he has no issues with control.

Im just speculating, but it appears that people with some distance between thier valve and burner are able to control the throttle much better.

As soon as i get my burner ill cut and thread an assortment of pipe and experiment with what lengths and combination of 90s do or do not help throttling. I'm an electrician and have the threaders to make my own so it will be easy to set up. Im ordering the burner this week, so it wont be for a few weeks till i can.

Good chance ill disprove my own theory, but hey thats half the fun.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #120
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

If your theory is correct, it wouldn't be too much trouble to add some pipe length between the valve and burner, it's just inconvenient.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply