Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Nasty phenolic taste...Wild yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
bob3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Nasty phenolic taste...Wild yeast?

I bottle a saison a few days ago and couldn't resist trying a small bottle today. It was already quite carbed and had a nasty phenolic taste. It had tasted great out of the fermenter so i was really annoyed. It also had the exact taste i had in a previous saison. This one used WLP 566 and my other one used dupont cultured from the bottle.
I would discribe the taste and aroma as being like an electric fire or circuit board.
I did pitch a bit warmer than i should at 21c and ramped it up to about 26c by the end.
My last two batches have been pale ales and have suffered from what i think are fermentation problems and have had alot of acetaldehyde.

Could the two problems be linked?

By the way, I clean my bottles with an over night soak in bleach and then sanitise with a iodene solution.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
diegobonatto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
By the way, I clean my bottles with an over night soak in bleach and then sanitise with a iodene solution.
Did you rinsed well your bottles with sanitized water before bottling? Household bleach is hard to remove from glasses in a general sense and gives the taste that you described...

Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
bob3000
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, i rinsed in warm water. I did the the same proccess as i did for other brews that don't have this flavour.

Quick Reply