Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My Upside down Keg MLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default My Upside down Keg MLT

Hey just wanted to post a pic of my stage 2 MLT. Excuse the terrible picture quality, bad lighting, and general mess of the cellar.

To test its heat retention. I pumped in 9 gallons of water. I stirred it, measured the temp to be 179*, after 75 minutes it was about 167*. Seems like this should work ok for the time being. I figure a good amount of that heat loss was due to heating the metal of the keg etc.

The keg itself was wrapped in r30 fiberglass insulation, that i crudely secured with duct tape, and on top I just put some furnace wrapping since I had it and was sick of looking at it. I'm hoping to goto herms system in a bit, but think this should be fine until I make the switch. Also any idea how I can best incorporate this data into beersmith? Any thoughts?

photo-5-.jpg  

Reason: Rotate pic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Did you make a lid for it? Seems most of your heat loss was probably through the open top...

Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I am dumb, but not that dumb, lol I just didn't take a pic of it. I have a 12" cooking pan lid, above which I made a compressed insulation hockey puck looking thing. Once I get my rig outside and tidy'd up I'll take better shots.

Quick Reply