Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My One Vessel AG System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #81
Skidsmint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee

Did you squeeze the grains or do a sparge? I still have some tweaking to do on my system. My last batch was way under the OG I was hoping for. I like the recirculating idea and might steal your idea if my efficiency doesn't get more consistant.
I used the plate that Chad made and squeezed. I got a lot more sweet wort when I did that. I let it drip some more and then added that in during the boil.

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking
beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-- Deep Thought, Jack Handy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #82
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Did you squeeze the grains or do a sparge? I still have some tweaking to do on my system. My last batch was way under the OG I was hoping for. I like the recirculating idea and might steal your idea if my efficiency doesn't get more consistant.
You'll still have to deal with the heat loss that he suffered. May want to look into a RIMS tube then. I sent metallhed the start of my control box, they aren't that difficult to build after you sit down and look at some wiring diagrams.

Secondary EMTPY

Kegged Double Chocolate Stout, Probie (Light Lager), Berliner Weisse, Bourbon Barrel Milk Stout

Bottled Skeeter Pee

Coming Soon Flashover (Red Ale), Yuengling Clone

www.backdraughtbrewing.com
Email us at backdraughtbrewing@gmail.com

Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #83
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738 View Post
You'll still have to deal with the heat loss that he suffered. May want to look into a RIMS tube then. I sent metallhed the start of my control box, they aren't that difficult to build after you sit down and look at some wiring diagrams.
Since I'm brewing on a 1800w induction plate I was thinking of turning it on low and circulate with a pump to maintain temps.

I was actually pretty surprised that my mash only dropped 2 degrees in 60 min in my kettle with the lid on and I didn't even turn the heat on. Maybe I don't even need the pump and just keep it simple.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #84
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Since I'm brewing on a 1800w induction plate I was thinking of turning it on low and circulate with a pump to maintain temps.

I was actually pretty surprised that my mash only dropped 2 degrees in 60 min in my kettle with the lid on and I didn't even turn the heat on. Maybe I don't even need the pump and just keep it simple.
Nah make it complicated I forgot about your induction plate. If you really wanted you could wire up a pid to that and have it turn the hot plate on and off when the temp gets low. Put the temp sensor in that open bung on your kettle.

Secondary EMTPY

Kegged Double Chocolate Stout, Probie (Light Lager), Berliner Weisse, Bourbon Barrel Milk Stout

Bottled Skeeter Pee

Coming Soon Flashover (Red Ale), Yuengling Clone

www.backdraughtbrewing.com
Email us at backdraughtbrewing@gmail.com

Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #85
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:

What size batches do you do with the 1800 induction plate and what kind of times to reach boil? I'd think that size is right on the margin. Do you insulate your kettle at all?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #86
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit
What size batches do you do with the 1800 induction plate and what kind of times to reach boil? I'd think that size is right on the margin. Do you insulate your kettle at all?
I do 2.5 gal brews so I end up boiling down 3-4 gal. I did a 6 gl boil test when I first got it and it took an hour to get it up to boil. I also need to keep the lid on to keep a good rolling boil. No insulation yet but I've been thinking about it.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #87
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738

Nah make it complicated I forgot about your induction plate. If you really wanted you could wire up a pid to that and have it turn the hot plate on and off when the temp gets low. Put the temp sensor in that open bung on your kettle.
Good idea

Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #88
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738 View Post
Don't listen to Dustin.. he makes everything complicated!

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels
blaster_54738 Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #89
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Good idea
No, bad idea. Induction plates have controller boards, they aren't like heating elements. Once you cut the power to the plate, you kill the controller board. When it cuts back on, you'll have to wait for it to complete it's start up cycle, then put the set point temperature back in. You could attempt to replace the controller board entirely, but you'd have to design a PID that can drive a PWM circuit that will in turn drive a MOSFET into some scary current ranges for the home tinkerer (around 100A p-p). Also, you'll find that the magnetic field generated sometimes can do weird things to your thermometer and make accurate readings difficult.

Source: I tried working on this problem for 6 months before giving up.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #90
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k

No, bad idea. Induction plates have controller boards, they aren't like heating elements. Once you cut the power to the plate, you kill the controller board. When it cuts back on, you'll have to wait for it to complete it's start up cycle, then put the set point temperature back in. You could attempt to replace the controller board entirely, but you'd have to design a PID that can drive a PWM circuit that will in turn drive a MOSFET into some scary current ranges for the home tinkerer (around 100A p-p). Also, you'll find that the magnetic field generated sometimes can do weird things to your thermometer and make accurate readings difficult.

Source: I tried working on this problem for 6 months before giving up.
Good to know, thanks, I think I'll stick with the KISS method.

Quick Reply