Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My One Vessel AG System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #71
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If the sides are mesh then you were better off with just a false bottom from what I've read. At least from an efficiency standpoint. You want the water/wort to recirculate through the entire grain bed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #72
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
If the sides are mesh then you were better off with just a false bottom from what I've read. At least from an efficiency standpoint. You want the water/wort to recirculate through the entire grain bed.
A FB isn't BIAB, though, and would require more than two vessels.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #73
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed View Post
A FB isn't BIAB, though, and would require more than two vessels.
So the cooler isn't a second vessel? Once he went the cooler and pump it became something else and a traditional false bottom would have been a less expensive. He would also have the benefit of he bed filtering his wort. This much expense and effort for a system that was developed to get around having to build a traditional system seems counter intuitive to me. I do BIAB except with a second sparge pot simply because I happen to have one. If I were going through this effort I'd have gone more traditional.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #74
Skidsmint
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So far, so good! It's working like I thought it would. I'm doing a NB Black Ipa that's a single infusion mash so I don't need my heater pipe on this one. My Chugger pump came yesterday and is recirculating the mash, it is very quiet! I need to trim my tubing a little but other than that, it is a pretty compact set up and isn't taking up much space on my kitchen counter. I'll try and post some video also.

image-2294480893.jpg   image-1196020613.jpg   image-1006081124.jpg   image-2806964906.jpg  

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking
beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-- Deep Thought, Jack Handy

Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #75
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts

Looking good Skidsmint. How long did you mash for and how well did it hold temp? It will be interesting to see what kind of efficiencies you get with that setup. Also looking forward to your video.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #76
Skidsmint
Recipes 

I did a 90 minute mash and the temp dropped 7 degrees. I had the pump going for the whole 90 minutes so the drop really isn't that bad.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #77
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidsmint View Post
I did a 90 minute mash and the temp dropped 7 degrees. I had the pump going for the whole 90 minutes so the drop really isn't that bad.
Next time try this: Instead of using the pump and recirculating, simply do your infusion and then let it set.

I bet that you'll find that the temp doesn't drop more than 2-3 degrees over 90 minutes (instead of 7 degrees).

Consider this: Your pump and hoses actually act like a heat exchanger, pulling 150 degree wort out of the cooler and exposing it to room temperature air, effectivly cooling it for the complete duration of the mash time. Unless you have a means to add heat to the wort while recirculating (RIMS, etc) you are actually defeating the purpose of the insulated mash tun.

BTDT, got the t-shirt to prove it.

nurture my pig

Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #78
Skidsmint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes

Next time try this: Instead of using the pump and recirculating, simply do your infusion and then let it set.

I bet that you'll find that the temp doesn't drop more than 2-3 degrees over 90 minutes (instead of 7 degrees).

Consider this: Your pump and hoses actually act like a heat exchanger, pulling 150 degree wort out of the cooler and exposing it to room temperature air, effectivly cooling it for the complete duration of the mash time. Unless you have a means to add heat to the wort while recirculating (RIMS, etc) you are actually defeating the purpose of the insulated mash tun.

BTDT, got the t-shirt to prove it.

I thought about the temp loss after I had already started so next time I will use the heater manifold pipe to keep the temps steady. After everything was all said and done, it was a pretty successful brew day and I hit 76% efficiency according to iBrewmaster. Since this was the first time that I have used this set up I really just wanted to get a feel for how it will work and I'm sure I will tweak a few things on the next brew.
image-4218283259.jpg  

Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #79
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
So the cooler isn't a second vessel? Once he went the cooler and pump it became something else and a traditional false bottom would have been a less expensive. He would also have the benefit of he bed filtering his wort. This much expense and effort for a system that was developed to get around having to build a traditional system seems counter intuitive to me. I do BIAB except with a second sparge pot simply because I happen to have one. If I were going through this effort I'd have gone more traditional.
You never quoted who you were replying to, so I thought you were talking about the OP's (wobdee) set up.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #80
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidsmint View Post
I thought about the temp loss after I had already started so next time I will use the heater manifold pipe to keep the temps steady. After everything was all said and done, it was a pretty successful brew day and I hit 76% efficiency according to iBrewmaster. Since this was the first time that I have used this set up I really just wanted to get a feel for how it will work and I'm sure I will tweak a few things on the next brew.
Did you squeeze the grains or do a sparge? I still have some tweaking to do on my system. My last batch was way under the OG I was hoping for. I like the recirculating idea and might steal your idea if my efficiency doesn't get more consistant.

Quick Reply