Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My One Vessel AG System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts

Ok, did a batch of Black IPA today and it worked great! I did screw up the mash temps by leaving the heat on and it shot up from 150 to 165 and I had to scramble to cool it down with ice cubes, oops. Next time I'll just turn the heat off and cover.

The 400 micron basket worked great for draining except for a little dribble over the edge when I set it on the edge of the kettle. It also cleaned up real easy.

I ended up with 70% efficiency when I was shooting for 75% but that could of been my fault from the mash temps or not attempting a finer crush? Probably could of used a little more water as well, mash was kind a thicker than I wanted.

Overall I'm pretty impressed and I'm going to try again Thursday.

100_1769.jpg   100_1770.jpg   100_1771.jpg   100_1772.jpg   100_1773.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #22
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Ok, did a batch of Black IPA today and it worked great! I did screw up the mash temps by leaving the heat on and it shot up from 150 to 165 and I had to scramble to cool it down with ice cubes, oops. Next time I'll just turn the heat off and cover.

The 400 micron basket worked great for draining except for a little dribble over the edge when I set it on the edge of the kettle. It also cleaned up real easy.

I ended up with 70% efficiency when I was shooting for 75% but that could of been my fault from the mash temps or not attempting a finer crush? Probably could of used a little more water as well, mash was kind a thicker than I wanted.

Overall I'm pretty impressed and I'm going to try again Thursday.
How did the basket feel when it was hanging on the side of the pot? I was a little worried about the weight when I first saw your design. I think I am going to have to order one of these soon because I really do not like using the various BIAB grain bags.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #23
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
How did the basket feel when it was hanging on the side of the pot? I was a little worried about the weight when I first saw your design. I think I am going to have to order one of these soon because I really do not like using the various BIAB grain bags.
I agree on the tabs. That seems a bit too iffy, especially if you're looking to upsize this idea to do 5G batches. Otherwise, this seems fantastic!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The basket was fine hanging on the side of the kettle, I lifted it slowly and let it drain for a minute or two then hung it on the kettle side. I think there is plenty of weight down below in the kettle to offset the grain and basket.

When I used the squeeze plate I held onto the basket handle with one hand and squeezed with the other. The tabs seemed strong enough to hold it there but I was more worried about putting too much pressure and weight on top of my glass top induction plate.

Maybe instead of those tabs a guy could just hang the basket from some pulley system above or place a grill rack across the kettle? I figure my 2.5 gl batches won't get too top heavy with 4-7lbs of grain.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #25
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Kind a debating wether or not to squeeze the grains for that little extra wort. Maybe just let it drain on its own while the wort comes up to boil?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #26
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Kind a debating wether or not to squeeze the grains for that little extra wort. Maybe just let it drain on its own while the wort comes up to boil?
I would think that would be the best idea in most cases. I'm not sure how thick the mesh is on that thing, but I would guess that over time you might break it from squeezing it.

That reminds me, how sturdy is the mesh? Do you think it would be easy to dent? Does is seem like any of the tack welds would pop off easily?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The mesh seems pretty solid but I'm sure you could put a dent in it if you dropped it or banged it up against something. I had him build an X underneath to help support the weight and I'm sure it could be beefed up a bit if needed. I'm no expert on welding but the tacks look fine to me and don't expect any problems.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #28
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Do you sparge/rinse at all? This system looks too cool! I've been using a full all grain system for years and extract before that, but this looks like the best of both worlds! Using the bags always look like it would be cumbersome at best, but I might have to give this a shot.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #29
Cheapo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sub-freakin-scribed!

Primary 3: Makeshift 'Draft'
Secondary 1: Empty.... :(
Secondary 2: Empty.... :(

Old 01-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #30
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Do you sparge/rinse at all? This system looks too cool! I've been using a full all grain system for years and extract before that, but this looks like the best of both worlds! Using the bags always look like it would be cumbersome at best, but I might have to give this a shot.
No sparge, true BIAB (brew in a basket)

Quick Reply