Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My new mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #91
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesz28 View Post
Got my false bottom a couple days ago and my pot yesterday. I hope to get every thing cut and ready today. Going to take the pot to work and tig weld the fittings. Thinking of having 3 or 4 fittings welded to it. Drain, thermostat, recirculation near the top, and maybe a site glass.
Time to get busy and take some pics along the way.
SWEET! Please do take pics I want to see one thats all tricked out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #92
jakesz28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is my build. Its a work in progress.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/star...-build-312527/

Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #93
stalewater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brewed with Ben this weekend and saw this thing in action WOW what a great idea. I second anyone thinking of doing this, I have a bayou classic kettle and am seriously thinking about this build!!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #94
ben the brewman
Recipes 

Make sure its the same kettle as the above link. Its easy to do and ill help you out.

Check out my stainless steel cooler mash tun! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-mash-tun-268370/

Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #95
JonnyJumpUp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is a cool idea, my 5 gallon cooler has warped pretty bad. Probably upgrading to a 10 gallon cooler but cringe to spend the money on something that will probably warp.

I have an 8 gallon Bayou Classic SS Pot that the outer diameter is 13.6". Does anyone know the outer diameter of the linked pot and/or the cooler without the liner?

8 gallons is plenty for me. I am content with 5 gallon batches. I can mash about 20lbs in it which is about the biggest 5 gallon beer I would do.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #96
ben the brewman
Recipes 

Im not sure of the size of the pot. I would measure the pot you have and measure the inside of your cooler and see how close they are to the same size.

Check out my stainless steel cooler mash tun! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-new-mash-tun-268370/

Old 10-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #97
JonnyJumpUp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben the brewman View Post
Im not sure of the size of the pot. I would measure the pot you have and measure the inside of your cooler and see how close they are to the same size.
I'm not that stupid if I had a 10 gallon cooler on hand I'd measure it. Trying to find dimensions before I order a cooler. My current cooler is 5 gallons. I will just swing by home depot.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #98
ben the brewman
Recipes 

I can't measure mine for you because I had to trim it some to make the pot fit. If I had another I would but home depot is your best bet for sure.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #99
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyJumpUp View Post
I have an 8 gallon Bayou Classic SS Pot that the outer diameter is 13.6". Does anyone know the outer diameter of the linked pot and/or the cooler without the liner?
Here is a link to the pot that I used (as recommended by Ben). It gives the Diameter as 13.5 Inches. This was large enough that it required removing a little of the insulation from the inside of the cooler. Also, the recommended pot is is 17.25 inches tall. If you kettle is only 8 gallons, I am sure that it would not be that tall. The 11 gallon kettle fills the void nicely.

So, you have a few options to consider.
1. Buy the 11 gallon kettle to take full advantage of the cooler height.
2. Cut down the cooler to the appropriate level for the shorter 8 gallon kettle.
3. Place your kettle in the cooler at its original height, and place your valve where you want it. Then you can insulate the bottom of the kettle with great stuff. Just a word of caution, though, if you are going to use Great Stuff. You will need some fairly decent size holes into which you would spray the foam. A small hole (1/4 inch diameter) does not allow enough air flow for the Great Stuff to cure. I used 1.5 Inch holes and four of them on the bottom to fill a void. Then I used some more plastic and pop riveted a new bottom onto the cooler to cover the holes where I sprayed the foam.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #100
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Will the pot fit into cooler without cutting off top of cooler ?
If so then I was thinking of cutting the cooler on sides of top so that handles of pot would drop right in and lid of cooler would still screw on . Then drilling a hole for ball valve and pounding the hole flat so that I could screw on a ball valve instead of welding it so that it would be removable for taking out the pot which with handles would still be useful for a brew kettle or other pot use .

Quick Reply