Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My Immersion chiller makes me sad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
vp1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Slower water flow rate will be more efficient in terms of water usage. I don't pay for water (rent) so i go full blast (earth smerth). But the slower you go the longer the worthas a chance to lose it's heat to the water so less water used but longer time to chill (less driving force). Few more gallons of water is well worth the time saved imo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #12
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp1
Slower water flow rate will be more efficient in terms of water usage. I don't pay for water (rent) so i go full blast (earth smerth). But the slower you go the longer the worthas a chance to lose it's heat to the water so less water used but longer time to chill (less driving force). Few more gallons of water is well worth the time saved imo
I don't pay for water either but my eco girlfriend goes nuts about the water usage. I think I'll snag some empty water jugs from work and just fill them so she can water the plants with it.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
TheZer
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I run the first 10-15 gallons slow, thus getting the exit water nice and hot. Then dump the lot into my washer and run a load of whites

Also, I have 10 ft of 1/2" copper coil (a flat coil) in an ice bath. No pump / no recirculation. water moves from faucet --> ice bath coil --> immersion coil --> washing machine.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #14
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

So yesterday I ran a test with my sump pump, in 10 minutes it increased 10 degrees. I had hoped that I could just run cold water with some ice cubes in it to help even out the temps between the two vessels, but it is apparent in order for the sump pump to be effective I'd need to get a lot of ice. Meh. I'll pitch warm and let the ferementation chamber chill it down the rest of the way like I have. Still considering turning it into a 45' CFC, but I think thats the bored side of me thinking.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #15
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1231 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
So yesterday I ran a test with my sump pump, in 10 minutes it increased 10 degrees. I had hoped that I could just run cold water with some ice cubes in it to help even out the temps between the two vessels, but it is apparent in order for the sump pump to be effective I'd need to get a lot of ice. Meh. I'll pitch warm and let the ferementation chamber chill it down the rest of the way like I have. Still considering turning it into a 45' CFC, but I think thats the bored side of me thinking.
Changing up your system will only help if you're experiencing a low efficiency of heat transfer for some reason or another. From the sounds of it, though, you're just running into the hard, physical limits of thermodynamics.

You need to extract about 190 kJ per degree celsius drop. If you're trying to pitch at 75 degrees, by the end you're needing to run almost three gallons of water per degree in the best case scenario. 30 minutes is pretty good, and I'm surprised it's even that quick with groundwater so warm. As you've concluded, your options are either ice or refrigeration. I've always had good luck sticking the carboy in my fermentation chamber and pitching the next morning.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #16
bengerman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
You have to use a filter on things you hear. Because that makes zero sense...

Cheers!

going slower won't speed it up, but won't necessarily slow it down.

I start at nearly full-blast, then back it down until the copper on the outlet end feels just barely warmer than the copper on the inlet end.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
60sd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I too have a home made immersion chiller. I think it was about 25' of 3/8 tubing. I put my boil kettle in an ice water bath (12 gallon keg tub) and run the chiller at the same time. I've been thinking about building a pre-chiller using a long length of 1/2" black drip irrigation tubing coiled in an ice bath. My thought is that running colder water into the wort chiller will cool the wort quicker. As it is, it's taking me about 30 minutes to cool my wort, so maybe that's the best I can hope for.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
JonnyJumpUp
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I have heard to keep the flow slow so there is a longer time for heat transfer. For my 5 gallon batch I have 2 twenty foot coils, one goes in the wort the second in a bucket of water and ice. It takes about 1/2 hour. I do find it goes faster if I move the coils to disturb the water and wort around the coils.

I am going to take a small electric motor or drill and attach a paint mixer to, very gently, circulate the wort over the coils.
This is a myth.... the capacity for heat transfer through the copper is a constant... it has to do with the surface area and the material which both don't change.

Slowing down the flow rate of water will only hurt you. Someday I'll try to explain thermodynamics but its just too hard to type out.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
KeythL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aside from a pre-chiller, the best way to improve the heat exchange performance of your immersion chiller would be to add a whirlpool stirrer to move the wort through (between) the coils, I've read that it greatly increases efficiency (I'm happy with my 20~30 minutes, so I haven't tried it yet). I think there's a Stainless Steel Paint Mixer called a Jiffy PS-1 that's popular for this.

Keyth

Last edited by KeythL; 08-05-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Corrected Paint Mixer Model Number...

Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1231 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyJumpUp

This is a myth.... the capacity for heat transfer through the copper is a constant... it has to do with the surface area and the material which both don't change.

Slowing down the flow rate of water will only hurt you. Someday I'll try to explain thermodynamics but its just too hard to type out.
I'm not sure what exactly you're saying is a myth here, but certainly slowing down the flow rate can make you more efficient with regards to water usage.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply