Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My homebrew stirplate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #301
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

The last stirplate I made used Wonderflonium Magnets coupled to an Inverse Reactive Intensifier. My idea was to control vortex creation with a reactive feedback circuit sensing motion/flow. Unfortunately the Scotch Tape I had used to hold the feedback circuit onto the flask gave way and the IRI ran loose. Before I could unplug it, it had created an antimatter field proportional to the mass of the Wonderflonium, squared.

I'm grateful that nobody was hurt, but that was the last of my Wonderflonium, and now I can't build that Freeze Ray I had my heart set on!

Homer's Brew Log

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #302
PintOfBitter
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd offer to share some of my wonderflonium, but I used the last module in my .

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #303
DonLiguori
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Okay, so I know this thread has been killed and resurrected several times, so I'm sorry. But I can't shake the feeling that I've just scrapped a perfectly good 1 Gig HDD from my first computer and am not using it to it's full potential.

I have in my hands a 12v brushless motor and perfectly smooth palette to place the magnets on that would seem to be perfect for the plate... but does anyone know how to wire a system that could use a potentiometer on a HDD spindle drive? I have no idea when it comes to electronics, but would love to see this thing back in motion.

From Wolfenstein 3D to a perfect yeast pitch!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #304
jim_reaper1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just ripped a 12V DC fan out of an old computer, and wired it up to a 12V speaker wall jack. When I set a rare earth magnet from a HD on the back it holds itself on. When I turn the fan upside down the speed decreases quite a bit, is this normal for computer fans?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #305
hexmonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLiguori View Post
but does anyone know how to wire a system that could use a potentiometer on a HDD spindle drive? I have no idea when it comes to electronics, but would love to see this thing back in motion.
I believe a spindle drive from a hard drive is what's known as a "stepper" motor. Those are made for precision movements (even if that movement is spinning fast -> spinning faster), and so require an actual controller giving signals to it. Way more electronically complex than a 10k pot, and therefore probably not worth the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper1066 View Post
Just ripped a 12V DC fan out of an old computer, and wired it up to a 12V speaker wall jack. When I set a rare earth magnet from a HD on the back it holds itself on. When I turn the fan upside down the speed decreases quite a bit, is this normal for computer fans?
I've never seen that happen but it might be the way the blades are connected to the motor. The weight of the magnet may be pulling the spindle out of alignment and causing friction.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #306
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i bought all the parts to make this stir plate. My concern is i got a 3mm blue LED with a voltage rating of 3.5-4V. What would be the best way to hook this up without burning it out?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #307
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
i bought all the parts to make this stir plate. My concern is i got a 3mm blue LED with a voltage rating of 3.5-4V. What would be the best way to hook this up without burning it out?
Depending on your power supply, just add a resistor inline with the led to drop the voltage to your 3.5-4V.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #308
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
Depending on your power supply, just add a resistor inline with the led to drop the voltage to your 3.5-4V.
Make sure the resistor wattage matches the wattage of the motor to handle the heat created by the voltage it's holding back so it doesn't burn up. A wire wound hollow center tap resistor with slider, Ohmite a brand name example will work great plus adjustable resistance. larger wattage than the motor load will not hurt.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #309
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Make sure the resistor wattage matches the wattage of the motor to handle the heat created by the voltage it's holding back so it doesn't burn up. A wire wound hollow center tap resistor with slider, Ohmite a brand name example will work great plus adjustable resistance. larger wattage than the motor load will not hurt.
I certainly wouldn't run the fan/motor off the same resistor as the LED.

ekjohns, you need to calculate what resistance you need by knowing the current (mA), the forward voltage (vf) of the LED, and the voltage of your power supply. You would hook all of that up in parallel to your fan controller.

http://www.quickar.com/noqbestledcalc.htm

Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #310
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It will be either a 12VDC 500mA or 12VDC 1A power supply. I can get either for the same price. So would a 470 ohm 1/2W resistor work hooked straight from the power supply? Do you recommend one power supply over the other?

Scrimmia - thanks that is exactly what i needed, any thoughts on the Amp raiting of the power supply?

Quick Reply