Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My homebrew stirplate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #121
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller
That one is out of stock currently, I'm considering this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200021

Cheaper also.
I want to setup a stirt plate soon and will need to buy a fan... so why not get one with the controls built in... sounds like it will make things easier in the end, but I want to make sure this will work right for a 2000ml flask before building it... any ideas..??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2007, 02:02 AM   #122
D2T
Brew Monkey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I want to setup a stirt plate soon and will need to buy a fan... so why not get one with the controls built in... sounds like it will make things easier in the end, but I want to make sure this will work right for a 2000ml flask before building it... any ideas..??
The only thing I'd be worried about regarding a fan with a built in speed controller is how slow it will go. If it's too fast even on it's lowest setting, the stirbar might never get a good spin going and just bounce around like crazy.

Otherwise I don't see an issue with it. It should stir a 2000ml flask fine. You can see from the picture below, it gets my 1000ml really swirling. Slightly less so than pictured with a thicker wort.

Whatever route you go, it's pretty cool to see it in action

Up next:
Guiness Clone, ???

Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #123
surfj9009
Recipes 

My first post here since joining:

you guys rock!!! I just started doing starters since I'm doing lagers now mostly.

Biult my stir plate this week and it works like a champ in my 1000 ml flask.

Im totalyy stoked and one day im gonna be the best brewmaster EVER!!!!!

HAHAHA just kidding. anyhow, i did it just like it was done here and soldered it together myself(first time soldering)

one thing i will say is definitely dont buy everything from radio shack (unless your impatient like me). They charge a ton for these parts. Do yourself a favor and order it online and save some dough. ( i undoubtedly could have purchased enough grain for an AG batch with the money i would have saved if i wanted to wait for the parts to come in the mail)

by the way, i am using a 2 inch and 1 inch stir bar, both 3/8"' diameter and they both hold the magnetic field fine with a couple 3/4" round magnets, probably 1/4" thick each, 2 glued together on each side of the fan hub (found at a artsy craftsy store) glued together. I tried the rare earth ones from a hard drive but couldn't get two of the same size and shape, so the rotating field was too erratic to hold the stirbar in even rotation. Don't think you cant biuld one without rare earth magnets, you can. Just glue a few together so you create a stronger magnetic field on opposite sides of the fan.

just my .02

excuse the typos, many beers today. hehe

Old 09-22-2007, 04:08 AM   #124
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just got my fan in the mail today... going to look for the magnets this week sometime... then I jsut need to get things put together... I did order a fan with a speed controller too... we'll see how it works...

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 AM   #125
capcrnch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Finished mine up today!
I can't wait to get some yeasties in there!

[YOUTUBE]2YsMDM9efC8[/YOUTUBE]

I should have taped that without Sunday Night Football blasting in the background.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:35 AM   #126
Xiren
Recipes 

At one point, you have a few items all coming together on the schematic. Your image shows the items pretty close together.

For example: On the schematic you gave, OUT of the LM317 goes to one side of the R1 and to the + on the fan while the ADJ on the LM317 goes to the other end of R1 and to the POT. *scratches head*

A little more explenation would really help me out.
Thank you in advance.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist.
Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:00 AM   #127
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just finished putting my stirplate together. I used the RadioShlock project box as an enclosure, and it worked great. Used an old 9V wall wort from an abandoned cell phone. A 25k ohm rheostat worked perfectly to get the right range of speed adjustment. Goes slowly enough not to throw the bar when ramping up to speed, but quickly enough to get a nice vortex. Not quite as aggressive of a vortex as the professional stir plates in my lab, but certainly sufficient for growing a starter. No pics yet, 'cause my GF has my camera on a weekend trip.

For folks who may be hesitant to do this, it's a pretty simple operation, and can certainly be done w/o the more sophisticated controllers other folks have used. That's certainly not to take anything away from Mr. Salty's design, because it's definitely more elegant than my own, and in all likelihood provides a finer degree of speed control. However, the simple & cheap 9v wall wort + RadioShlock rheostat, switch and project box will do the job admirably, and for a total cost of about $12, assuming you have an old fan and some magnets to scavenge.

Oh -- one other thing: if you happen to have an extra stir bar lying around (I bought a few for good measure), they work very well as the driver magnet for the system.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #128
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Does anyone still have problems like I do with the damn stir bar getting flung off a lot.....or have problems starting it up? It takes awhile sometimes for me to get it just right

I'm back!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #129
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL
Does anyone still have problems like I do with the damn stir bar getting flung off a lot.....or have problems starting it up? It takes awhile sometimes for me to get it just right
If it's flinging off, it's probably one of three things:
1) Spinning too fast for the size of the bar. Even on the professional lab stir plate at work, this happens to me if I turn the speed up too high or ramp it up to full speed too quickly.
2) Magnets not centered on your fan. If the fan/enclosure doesn't wobble when you power it on, this probably isn't the case.
3) Bottom of your container isn't flat. If the flask or other container you're using is convex on the bottom, the stir bar is unstable and is much more likely to get kicked off.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #130
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e lo
If it's flinging off, it's probably one of three things:
1) Spinning too fast for the size of the bar. Even on the professional lab stir plate at work, this happens to me if I turn the speed up too high or ramp it up to full speed too quickly.
2) Magnets not centered on your fan. If the fan/enclosure doesn't wobble when you power it on, this probably isn't the case.
3) Bottom of your container isn't flat. If the flask or other container you're using is convex on the bottom, the stir bar is unstable and is much more likely to get kicked off.
It's on a variable speed control....doesn't seem too fast at all
Maybe but I doubt it
regular flask

I'm back!!!

Quick Reply