Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My Brew Shed in the works, guidance needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
Brian4x4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default My Brew Shed in the works, guidance needed.

Hello fellow brewers!
I decided to turn my shed into a brew house.
This will be a summer project, but I am planning and buying materials now.

This is my shed..

I am planning my own version of the Brutus Ten build from the November 2007 issue of brew your own.

I am trying to gather all the stuff I need but I have questions about a few things, and could use so input..
This maybe a lengthy read and a lot of my inner thoughts. (LOL) but I could really use the help/ guidance with this build to do it right.

Here is my plan so you can see where I am at and need help.
Here is my vision.

I am going to have a electrician friend help me wire my shed.
Wired with a ceiling light and a few wall plugs.

Custom 3 burner brew stand (I weld using my mig welder)
Still deciding on what burners to use.
Also I need LOTs of input on safety of running burners inside a shed.
My plan was to have vent taking steam out and then keep door open so I don't pass out. lol ok well . you know what I mean.
I had a thought to add 2 windows to it for light and maybe more vents if needed.

3 Keggle system as I have 3 kegs already.

I want to buy this nice Stainless steel hop spider I found to try to keep the hops out of plate chiller and fermentor.

Some kind of hood vent to suck moisture from the room.
(I need help on this.)
Thinking of some kind of rectangle galvanized duct with fan and pipe going out back upper shed wall.

March pumps, need 2 not sure what the best value is on these is. Any help in my purchase is appreciated. (keeping lowest cost/best value/ best quality for that value in mind)

I need 2 temp controllers as the Brutus used 2 LOVE controllers.
But I made my own temp controlled fermentor and used a STC-1000 temp controller from HK and it works great. So I wonder if I could use 2 of those instead to save over 100$???

Insulate walls build shelves.

I want to buy a plate chiller and see tons on ebay at good deals but not sure which ones are good.
I like the ones that have the fittings I want on them already so i don't have to buy additional fittings.

I have been reading a lot about chilling and idea's and have a few questions.
If I use a plate chiller and re-circulate the wort through the chiller (I want to put the chiller in ice bath and pump ice water through it as well) how will the temp of the boil pot effect the cooling. (also trying to leave the cold break in the kettle not fermentor)
I tried to cool my keg batch once before with using immersion chiller and the kegs metal was so hot for so long it took forever to cool. So after that day i pick up the whole keg and put in a Tupperware full of ware and ice to cool the keg then my immersion chiller worked better... Will using a plate chiller and recirculating the wort back into the kettle cool the metal kettle as well?

I am really excited and motivated on this custom brew house so any input is appreciated.

My final goad is to escape to man brew town and have a fun time brewing.

I have a upright TRUE RC COLA refrigerator I use as a temp controlled fermenting chamber I plan on putting out in the shed.
I envision cool beer posters and hot girl calenders.
I want to incorporate this mini fridge I have with some brews in it.
A TV (probably just one of my old tube TV's that no one uses anymore lol)
I want to get a HDTV antenna and just use that as well. (I don't pay for cable it costs too much) So I can at least use that to brew on gameday's

Like I said really excited about this and that's why I am reaching to all you homebrew pros for help.

thanks all!

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
gpitrone
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I'm moving in! What about heat/ac?

Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Brian4x4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitrone View Post
I'm moving in! What about heat/ac?
HAHA !! No Heat and no AC planned at this stage..

Old 02-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
CaptnCully
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

Hot and cold running water?

Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Brian4x4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnCully View Post
Hot and cold running water?
I have cold water coming off my house and I plan on piping a hot water faucet right next to it for beer brewing cleanup and anything else.

I guess I will be walking back and forth to that because I do not see a easy way to pipe that to my shed..

unless you know of a way, please share.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

If you can just get cold water to the shed you could put in a small tankless water heater

Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 121

If you build it. They will come.

How big is the lawn mower shed? Maybe you already did this. Draw on a paper to scale what you're cramming in the shed. Then you can have an idea how much room you'll have left to pack your body and brew friends in. Three burners? Where are you placing the tank, outside? Water line, sink, filters, RO system? No heat. They'll freeze in the winter, unless drained. Waste water? Where will you be dumping sanitizer after cleaning stuff?

You need lots of input on safety of using gas fired equipment? There's more to it than CO. Do you have experience with installing electric gas valves, pilot assemblies, safeties, gas piping, the controls and the wiring it takes in order to build a system that won't blow you up? If you're hooked on the Brutus, follow what the builder of that system does and use the components he uses..... Here's the deal. It takes 1 sq. in. per 1K BTU for combustion air. A 200K burner needs an opening 200 sq. in. Opening the door or a window will work. Your door swings in so you'll lose some room when it's open. Here's the other deal. If you buy hi pressure 200K burners and crank them up. The flame will go up the sides of the kettle. You may want to keep the back of the brew stand away from the wall, just in case.

For exhaust, whatever you take out of the room, you need to put back in. Open the window or door for make up air. An exhaust hood over a 200 K BTU steam kettle uses an exhaust rate of 150-200 CFM per sq. ft of hood area. For reference. A bathroom fart fan is 60 CFM, a residential stove exhaust hood is 200-600 CFM. Size the fan and duct work to be large enough to remove the heat off the kettles and exhaust off the fired burners.

"Will using a plate chiller and recirculating the wort back into the kettle cool the metal kettle as well?" Wow!... Hot travels to cold. The reason the kettle stayed hot for so long is that you own a small IC chiller. The kettle walls were extracting heat from the liquid. Thus, making the walls hot. Of course, the chiller will cool the kettle. Think of it this way. You may be boiling 12 or more gallons of wort. That's over 100 pounds of liquid, that you want to take from 212 to pitching temp in a reasonable time frame. Heat gain and heat loss are calculated using BTU/Hr. Here's the caveat. Once the wort temp drops lower than the room temp. The chiller will need to extract the heat gain added by the ambient. Remember, hot moves to cold. That's why some things are insulated. Are we down with that? I use a 40 plate chiller using 3 GPM flow on the process side. Cooling 13 gallons. I don't run the cooled wort back through the boiler. It goes right into the conical. The longer the wort is above 140-160, DMS will re-form. To me a hop spider is an arachnid. I use a hop blocker and a hop back upstream of the chiller and whirlpool. The chiller has never clogged in the 7 or so years I have used it. A lot of wort has gone through it. I don't bake it in the oven, nor, toss it in an ice bath. I have never unbolted it from the frame. I backflush a few times, recirc 180 degree PBW, opposite the flow and flush it out with fresh water, boom, done.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Brian4x4
Recipes 

ok yeah water to the shed is a no go, it would freeze and I am not dealing with that. I have no problem walking to my bathtub for water with my 5 gallon bucket.
The external hot water line will come in hand to me for cleaning. and in the summer I will probably leave the hose run to the shed and connect it when brewing...

My shed is pretty huge like 15x12 i think.
I plan to have brew stand on right side and fridge and cabinets, counters, and storage on other side.

I am definitely doing this project and i want it done right not half A$$ed I dont do anything half way...

I like all your input here!
some stuff I didnt know!

as of now I brew in winter in garage with door open and jacket on lol.
so in winter in brew shed I plan to leave door and new window open and have vent fan on. lots of cfm sucking power and nice ducting.

i found out by asking on here that my fermenting chamber will be fine in the winter with my heater running inside it so thats nice.

I will have electric running to shed.

pipe out steam, and vent in fresh air..

I plan to follow the brutus to a "T" with the controls and shut offs an burners and pilots.

I do plan to run my own pipes though and not use the sealed metal frame to hold my gas.

Beer brewing is still new to me since last year at this time and I have come so far.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Brian4x4
Recipes 

ok yeah water to the shed is a no go, it would freeze and I am not dealing with that. I have no problem walking to my bathtub for water with my 5 gallon bucket.
The external hot water line will come in hand to me for cleaning. and in the summer I will probably leave the hose run to the shed and connect it when brewing...

My shed is pretty huge like 15x12 i think.
I plan to have brew stand on right side and fridge and cabinets, counters, and storage on other side.

I am definitely doing this project and i want it done right not half A$$ed I dont do anything half way...

I like all your input here!
some stuff I didnt know!

as of now I brew in winter in garage with door open and jacket on lol.
so in winter in brew shed I plan to leave door and new window open and have vent fan on. lots of cfm sucking power and nice ducting.

i found out by asking on here that my fermenting chamber will be fine in the winter with my heater running inside it so thats nice.

I will have electric running to shed.

pipe out steam, and vent in fresh air..

I plan to follow the brutus to a "T" with the controls and shut offs an burners and pilots.

I do plan to run my own pipes though and not use the sealed metal frame to hold my gas.

Beer brewing is still new to me since last year at this time and I have come so far.

It is like a wicked fun hobby / obsession.

Here is what I plan to do with my shed..

I want to build this (and maybe even expand over time) to make my brew life easier.
ever since going to all grain i like beer taste better and price is lower. extract is by far easier and take me way less time.
So I want to make my all grain experiences even easier.
I do still brew extract if I have money for it and less time to play.

I wish my inside stove was larger (ceramic top electric GE burner. ugh) then I could brew more indoors...

Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
bja
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4x4 View Post

IMO, not having water out there during the winter is "half A$$ed".

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Quick Reply