Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > My Bayou Classic SQ14 Windscreen Addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Good idea. I've been meaning to make a wind shield on mine. Looks like a good cheap fix!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
GNBRennes
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

While I was up north today at the cabin I saw some metal tubing just like that and grabbed it. Ill see how well it holds up after a couple of brews.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have the same issue with my burner send me A PM I want to make what you did! ( new place shouldn't have wind issue but I want plans anyway!
doing this ASAP!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Thanks for the feedback. I have used it once so far and it worked like a champ. No problems at all brewing outside.

I found what is called a "Starting Collar" in the roof venting section of Home Depot. This specific one was 8" and seemed the perfect size in both diameter and height. I think it's a Master Flow SCF8. It has a bunch of tabs which I bent to help get into position. I then used the same tabs to attach it to the bar that the burner is also attached to. I had to drill two holes for attaching this collar and that was the hardest part. Some #8x1/2 sheet metal screws are holding this on perfectly.
A pair of tin snips made quick work of the notching required to go over the burner neck.

SCF8 at HomeDepot

It is galvanized steel but I don't really think that's of any concern. It hasn't even discolored from my last brew day. If I am not mistaken, you need to be careful welding on galvanized steel because the vapor is harmful. I'm getting nowhere near welding temps during my boil.

Reason: typo's

Old 12-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #15
Phisher
Recipes 

I just added my Nagorg windscreen to my SQ 14 tonight and fired her up. Well done, Nagorg!

My first all-grain batch will be brewed tomorrow!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Thanks Phisher, looks like you did a great job with yours. Happy Brewing today!!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorg View Post
I hemmed and hawed on which Bayou Classic to buy; the SQ14 or the SP10. For me, a struggle point was the wind screen or lack thereof. Lots of folks said it was easy to add a windscreen but I'm not always so handy.
But, it's rreeaall easy so I had to post in case someone else out there is wondering about this now.

(The following has been added from my last post in this thread)
I found what is called a "Starting Collar" in the roof venting section of Home Depot. This specific one was 8" and seemed the perfect size in both diameter and height. I think it's a Master Flow SCF8. It has a bunch of tabs which I bent to help get into position. I then used the same tabs to attach it to the bar that the burner is also attached to. I had to drill two holes for attaching this collar and that was the hardest part. Some #8x1/2 sheet metal screws are holding this on perfectly.
A pair of tin snips made quick work of the notching required to go over the burner neck.

More detail on how I attached the SCF8:
Basically, I used a couple of the tabs for attaching the SCF8 to the rails that hold the burner. I think I drilled 1/8" holes if I remember right. The screws were sheet metal so they are pretty forgiving. You will want to drill a hole that is appropriate for the screw size you get no matter what. I uploaded two new pics to further illustrate the attachment.

SCF8 at HomeDepot

Look how nice and new that burner looks...Mine looks a hundred years old.
Nice wind screen. I think I'll make one today. I usually just wrap some sheet metal around the whole burner, but that's cool too...

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #18
GTaylor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Did the same thing except used the 10 inch collar instead. Also, if you don't want to have to drill you can set it in the tab side up and have them interlock with the pot supports.

Have used mine on several brews with great success and no problems with the heat melting or warping anything.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
Broncobum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you use the 6" version, it is tight enough you don't even need to screw it down. This is mine I did a while ago with the 6".

Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #20
davebstock
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Have any of you had any issues with the quality of the manifold or the fact it is held on with one bolt? I'm just looking for reassurance that I bought a good burner. Got it yesterday and the manifold looks cheap.

1 Timothy 5:23

Quick Reply