Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > The Most Unsanitary Thing That's Ever Happened

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
Magic8Ball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesm View Post
Seagull took a dump in the air as it flew by and it fell right into the BK as we turned off the heat and about to run the wort through the chiller...

One of my buddies started to barf, another laughed uncontrollably for a few minutes. Most of us just stared at each other in a shocked daze for a few seconds. Lot's of "WTF"s all around.

An immediate unsolicited and unanimous vote ensued for dumping the whole batch. Not even a thought about just boiling it for whoever long to sterilize the wort.

It was one of our most expensive recipes to begin with and it hurt all the way back to the LHMS to pick up enough ingredients for another go.

The second batch was done under a beach umbrella.
LOL This happened to me as well, but halfway into the boil. The bird crap coagulated and remained on to. I quickly we skimmed the crap from the wort. We all decided that if you boiled it for the next 30 min, it would be sanitized.

The beer was dubbed bird **** wit. It was good, but you always thought about the bird **** while drinking. Hmmm, "Is that yeasty wit haze or bird **** haze in my wort haze". For some reason none of my brew club buds would have any. Go figure.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #32
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Revvy started a thread a few years back about sanitation mistakes experience brewers had made - and the beers coming out ok. He did it in part as a "give examples so new brewers can see from others experience that they didn't just destroy their beer" Somebody stuck an arm - wasn't specified as sanatized - into their cooled primary. I don't remember them all, I do remember thinking. 'huh.. guess it is hard to foul this stuff.'

And I've been a victem of screw ups - used a bad hose and infected a beer when racking to the bottling bucket. I figure the difference is the hose had been used for beer and therefore had a larger amount of beer eating bacteria, my arm (or anyones arm) is probably not made of beer so it wouldn't have a higher than average amount of bacteria that eat beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #33
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Had a bee fly into my boil once, big effer. fished him out, but took it as a sign

I dumped all of the honey in the house into the boil (11 oz or so)

Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #34
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Had a bee fly into my boil once, big effer. fished him out, but took it as a sign

I dumped all of the honey in the house into the boil (11 oz or so)
If I did that, I'd go from a beer to a braggot... (assume 51% of the fermentables determine the primary style name). I have over 25lb of honey in the house... enough for about 10 gallons of dry mead.... let me see. Added to a typical beer, I think we are talking 25% abv (assuming it finishes)

Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #35
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
If I did that, I'd go from a beer to a braggot... (assume 51% of the fermentables determine the primary style name). I have over 25lb of honey in the house... enough for about 10 gallons of dry mead.... let me see. Added to a typical beer, I think we are talking 25% abv (assuming it finishes)
Lol, I wouldn't have done it were that the case. Since it wasn't.......2 half full little plastic bears were emptied of their partial contents.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
atreid
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post

No I RHAHBBTFOOI.
Aaaaaww... you Roasted Half Another Hobo's Big Butt To Feed On Our Imagination... Nice plan...

Quick Reply