Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Monster Mill S/S Option?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
jgaepi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Monster Mill S/S Option?

I was about to pull the trigger on a barley crusher with the Veterans Day sales but I think I am leaning towards Monster Mills. I can get the non S/S option from Midwest for 20% off (cause I am a veteran) or I can order the S/S option through the company but no discount.

I plan to store it in my rubbermaid bin (with some other equipment) in my garage. I don't want rust issues. Should I do the S/S or do you think I am safe with the regular model?

Thanks.

Talking about Veterans Day discounts - any other amazing deals you have heard out there.

1st Brew: Black IPA
2nd Brew: Pilsener Urquell Clone
3rd Brew: Pliny the Elder Clone
4th Brew: Dogfish Head 90min IPA Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My summers are quite humid and my monster mill lives in the garage with no issues.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
jgaepi
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Is yours the S/S upgrade or the regular model? Thanks.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Basic. MM3. Not stainless or hardened.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Do you have issues with steel rusting when left in the garage? You could use desiccant packs in the bin with the mill to remove any moisture trapped inside it.

I have the MM2-2.0 with the hardened rollers. For me, stainless wasn't worth the cost, since I'm far enough from the coast. I wanted a mill that would [most likely] be around after I'm gone. So, the hardened rollers were a better choice. I also went with the base, hopper and hopper extension on the MM2-2.0 mill. Having the 39# capacity in the hopper was well worth it for me. Especially since pretty much all my grain bills would be more than the standard hopper would hold. If you also have an air compressor, with a water separator on it, you could use that to blow off/out the mill before you put it away.

I'm getting ready to mount the mill onto a microwave cart this week. I have my router here (wood router) so I'll be able to make a nice hole for the mill to dump through. I thought I had an electric motor in my sister's basement, but it's long since gone. I'll just use my cordless drill for now, and get a motor and pulley setup at that point. At least with it mounted to the cart, I'm part way there.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 615

Same as Goldie. Hardened, no SS with the bin. Leave in the garage and use an air compressor to clean. Love the Monster!! The thing kicks arse and puts my old BC to shame.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
CJBrewVT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the ss rollers. Likely overkill but this was a once in a lifetime purchase so I went crazy. We do have rust issues in our basement and I didnt want to worry about it.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
jgaepi
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

So with the S/S upgrade, that eliminates the rust issue? The MM guy replied that as long as I regularly use it I should really have a problem. But I don't brew but about every 6-8 weeks. He told me to buy an air compressor but then I might as well just buy the S/S instead. But Midwest will give me 20% off for being a veteran and that is a pretty sweet deal right now - but midwest does not sell the S/S option.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaepi View Post
So with the S/S upgrade, that eliminates the rust issue? The MM guy replied that as long as I regularly use it I should really have a problem. But I don't brew but about every 6-8 weeks. He told me to buy an air compressor but then I might as well just buy the S/S instead. But Midwest will give me 20% off for being a veteran and that is a pretty sweet deal right now - but midwest does not sell the S/S option.
Get it someplace else (direct)... I would get the 2" rollers every time, over the 1.5" rollers that MidWest is selling. Maybe Monster will give a veteran's discount too (ask, what can it hurt?)...

You could also use canned air, like you find in the office supply stores, Home Depot and Lowes, to blow out your mill. There are desiccant packs, and products, that will also take care of moisture in the sealed bin. We used to use them in the boat, and simply bake them once they were full of moisture (to make them ready again). Check out marine supply stores for those.

I would suggest NOT compromising on the mill. If you get the right one, [chances are] you'll never replace it. I know I wish I had done that with my first mill (a BC). Beyond happy with my MM2-2.0...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
jgaepi
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, but I can't fork out more money for a different drill just to drive a 1/2 inch shaft. I am going to stick with the basic 3/8 in.

Quick Reply