*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Monster Mill Hopper

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default Monster Mill Hopper

So I don't hijack the other thread about the best mill, I'll start my own.

From my reading, it sounds like there are some issues with the Monster Mill Hopper e.g. Thin metal, and potential for damage in transit. The Rebel mill hopper appears to be much more substantial.

So my question is assuming you had the means to make a hopper of wood or metal, is the standard hopper worth the $50 (cost+ Shipping) or would you make your own?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I have the large hopper for my MM3 2.0

I don't know where those rumors are coming from. It's a very nice hopper.

If it DID somehow show up damaged, I am sure MM would take care of you. Their customer care is top notch - trust me, I've used it.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have the MM hopper and there are no issues with it. I think the hopper and base are worth the price, as I could not have built something as nice.

Chris

Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

All good! Fred is a good guy

Old 07-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
corax
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Mine seems quite sturdy.

If it got damaged in transit, I'm sure you would have no trouble getting it replaced. And unless you plan to leave it outside during violent hail storms, I doubt it will get damaged once in your possession.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have had the large hopper on my MM3 for 2 years, no issues at all. The hopper is plenty strong!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I have the standard MM hopper and I don't feel that it is flimsy at all. The Barley Crusher hopper, on the other hand, is one I would classify as flimsy. That's one of the reasons I opted for the MM over the BC.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBeanJ View Post
I have the standard MM hopper and I don't feel that it is flimsy at all. The Barley Crusher hopper, on the other hand, is one I would classify as flimsy. That's one of the reasons I opted for the MM over the BC.
Same here. I suspect that the one person that I saw post about issues with the hopper got the mill from one of the resellers of Monster Mills and not direct from Monster. Mine arrived without any damage (not assembled) when I ordered my mill (direct from Monster). I also got the hopper extension from Monster at the same time. Love how it will hold up to 39# of grain that way. Helps when your grain bills are normally over 15#.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
logdrum
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Not even sure how it could get damaged in transit, it comes disassembled & flat packed. Love the mill & the hopper.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
So I don't hijack the other thread about the best mill, I'll start my own.

From my reading, it sounds like there are some issues with the Monster Mill Hopper e.g. Thin metal, and potential for damage in transit. The Rebel mill hopper appears to be much more substantial.

So my question is assuming you had the means to make a hopper of wood or metal, is the standard hopper worth the $50 (cost+ Shipping) or would you make your own?
I did find my hopper to be thinner than I expected, as it's 1/16th inch sheetmetal. If I had to do it over again I would probably skip the hopper and base and build my own.

The mill on the other hand is fantastic, and I agonized a long time over the Rebel vs MM2-2.0. I'm still glad I went with the MM2-2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Same here. I suspect that the one person that I saw post about issues with the hopper got the mill from one of the resellers of Monster Mills and not direct from Monster. Mine arrived without any damage (not assembled) when I ordered my mill (direct from Monster). I also got the hopper extension from Monster at the same time. Love how it will hold up to 39# of grain that way. Helps when your grain bills are normally over 15#.
I assume you're referring to me. It was purchased directly from Monster Mill and I still have the USPS Flat Rate Priority Shipping Box that the base, disassembled hopper and mill arrived in.

The hopper and base look identical to what's shown on

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/basehopper.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdrum View Post
Not even sure how it could get damaged in transit, it comes disassembled & flat packed. Love the mill & the hopper.
It came disassembled and flat packed, but nothing was bubble wrapped or packed in such a way to prevent free movement during transit, the only packing material included was packing peanuts. My best guess is that the mill bounced around during transit which snapped one of the mounting bolts (why on earth would you ship those half threaded into the mill?) and bent the corner of the 90 degree piece that fits over the mill itself.

Quick Reply