Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mold Problem in Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Arneba28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Mold Problem in Kegerator

Since I built my kegerator about a year ago I have had chronic mold growth problems in it. Every few months I have had to pull everything out and give it a bleach bath. This was the 5th time or so that I have pulled the kegs and wiped it down. I am using a very strong bleach/water mix.
I have had one growth on a beer that was put into the kegerator with no problems, but the airlock was knocked off and unattended to for 3 weeks while lagering, that I can understand.
I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to subdue this mold growth. The kegerator internal temp does change as I do a lager every few months. Is the temperature fluctuation causing to much condensation and allowing growth or am I bringing moldy kegs into the kegerator. I sanitize the whole keg and carboy with Iodophor prior to putting putting it in the kegerator.

What am I doing wrong or is this just a fact of kegerator maintenance?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try some Damp-Rid. I also got an Eva-Dry on Amazon. Both are good at removing moisture. The Damp-Rid is also dirt-cheap, and found at Home Depot, Lowes, Etc.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Arneba28

Recipes 

Good Idea, never thought of that. Guess that never even occurred to me

Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No worries! I'd personally try the Damp-Rid first. A lot of people on here have had success with that, and like I said, it's really cheap and easy to find.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

damp rid got rid of my mold problem. get the little tub to start, then a bigger bag to replace it every...oh 4-6 months depending on humidity.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Arneba28

Recipes 

Thats not bad at all. I was looking at the price of the max size damp rid. Damn expensive. but for just my kegerator I'm sure the small on will do just fine. Thanks people.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
Thats not bad at all. I was looking at the price of the max size damp rid. Damn expensive. but for just my kegerator I'm sure the small on will do just fine. Thanks people.
you can make your own rid damp.Take 2 small plastic paint buckets I think they are a qt drill holes in one place it inside the other now fill with plain old calcium chloride . Its dirt cheap in the 50 lb bag and I use it to deice the walkways in winter anyway.

The same calcium chloride can be reused 100's of times. Take the water out place it in a baking pan lined with aluminum foil and just heat in the oven . As the water evaporates the calcium chloride is left. The reason for the foil its almost impossible to remove the calcium chloride from the pan. Remove the foil and crumple it up breaking up the calcium chloride and you now have fresh Chloride for the dehumidifier.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
you can make your own rid damp.Take 2 small plastic paint buckets I think they are a qt drill holes in one place it inside the other now fill with plain old calcium chloride . Its dirt cheap in the 50 lb bag and I use it to deice the walkways in winter anyway.

The same calcium chloride can be reused 100's of times. Take the water out place it in a baking pan lined with aluminum foil and just heat in the oven . As the water evaporates the calcium chloride is left. The reason for the foil its almost impossible to remove the calcium chloride from the pan. Remove the foil and crumple it up breaking up the calcium chloride and you now have fresh Chloride for the dehumidifier.
...genius...

Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only problem with buying de-icer, is not everyone lives where there's ice. de-icer? I think the closest place I could buy some is Canada. Do you think cooking damp rid in the oven will get rid of the moisture and not kill us all?

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 08-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
The only problem with buying de-icer, is not everyone lives where there's ice. de-icer? I think the closest place I could buy some is Canada. Do you think cooking damp rid in the oven will get rid of the moisture and not kill us all?
Calcium chloride is a form of salt it will not go into vapor.All Rid damp is calcium chloride at 1000 times the price. You can also buy calcium chloride at most concrete places or at least they can order it as its used an accelerant to cure concrete.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply