Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Mold Problem in Kegerator (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/mold-problem-kegerator-132625/)

Arneba28 08-17-2009 07:29 PM

Mold Problem in Kegerator
 
Since I built my kegerator about a year ago I have had chronic mold growth problems in it. Every few months I have had to pull everything out and give it a bleach bath. This was the 5th time or so that I have pulled the kegs and wiped it down. I am using a very strong bleach/water mix.
I have had one growth on a beer that was put into the kegerator with no problems, but the airlock was knocked off and unattended to for 3 weeks while lagering, that I can understand.
I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to subdue this mold growth. The kegerator internal temp does change as I do a lager every few months. Is the temperature fluctuation causing to much condensation and allowing growth or am I bringing moldy kegs into the kegerator. I sanitize the whole keg and carboy with Iodophor prior to putting putting it in the kegerator.

What am I doing wrong or is this just a fact of kegerator maintenance?

Munsoned 08-17-2009 07:52 PM

Try some Damp-Rid. I also got an Eva-Dry on Amazon. Both are good at removing moisture. The Damp-Rid is also dirt-cheap, and found at Home Depot, Lowes, Etc.

Arneba28 08-17-2009 07:59 PM

Good Idea, never thought of that. Guess that never even occurred to me:o

Munsoned 08-17-2009 08:24 PM

No worries! I'd personally try the Damp-Rid first. A lot of people on here have had success with that, and like I said, it's really cheap and easy to find.

malkore 08-17-2009 10:34 PM

damp rid got rid of my mold problem. get the little tub to start, then a bigger bag to replace it every...oh 4-6 months depending on humidity.

Arneba28 08-17-2009 10:46 PM

Thats not bad at all. I was looking at the price of the max size damp rid. Damn expensive. but for just my kegerator I'm sure the small on will do just fine. Thanks people.

springer 08-18-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arneba28 (Post 1492544)
Thats not bad at all. I was looking at the price of the max size damp rid. Damn expensive. but for just my kegerator I'm sure the small on will do just fine. Thanks people.

you can make your own rid damp.Take 2 small plastic paint buckets I think they are a qt drill holes in one place it inside the other now fill with plain old calcium chloride . Its dirt cheap in the 50 lb bag and I use it to deice the walkways in winter anyway.


The same calcium chloride can be reused 100's of times. Take the water out place it in a baking pan lined with aluminum foil and just heat in the oven . As the water evaporates the calcium chloride is left. The reason for the foil its almost impossible to remove the calcium chloride from the pan. Remove the foil and crumple it up breaking up the calcium chloride and you now have fresh Chloride for the dehumidifier.

Munsoned 08-18-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springer (Post 1493425)
you can make your own rid damp.Take 2 small plastic paint buckets I think they are a qt drill holes in one place it inside the other now fill with plain old calcium chloride . Its dirt cheap in the 50 lb bag and I use it to deice the walkways in winter anyway.


The same calcium chloride can be reused 100's of times. Take the water out place it in a baking pan lined with aluminum foil and just heat in the oven . As the water evaporates the calcium chloride is left. The reason for the foil its almost impossible to remove the calcium chloride from the pan. Remove the foil and crumple it up breaking up the calcium chloride and you now have fresh Chloride for the dehumidifier.

...genius...

EvilTOJ 08-18-2009 03:05 PM

The only problem with buying de-icer, is not everyone lives where there's ice. de-icer? I think the closest place I could buy some is Canada. :D Do you think cooking damp rid in the oven will get rid of the moisture and not kill us all?

springer 08-18-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilTOJ (Post 1493537)
The only problem with buying de-icer, is not everyone lives where there's ice. de-icer? I think the closest place I could buy some is Canada. :D Do you think cooking damp rid in the oven will get rid of the moisture and not kill us all?

Calcium chloride is a form of salt it will not go into vapor.All Rid damp is calcium chloride at 1000 times the price. You can also buy calcium chloride at most concrete places or at least they can order it as its used an accelerant to cure concrete.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.