Mold in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwmoose152

Reaction score
So after one of my last brews was kicked (Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale), I left some Star San in there for about a week (lid on). I emptied it out and let it dry...or so I thought...must've been liquid in the dip tube.

Long story short..I have mold in the bottom of my keg and wanted to know if I could use Dawn or other soap items to clean it out, then sanitize with StarSan? Thoughts?

Thanks, all!

PBW/oxyfree/oxyclean soak should clean it well. I make it a point to not only rinse the kicked keg with hot water (dump a few times) but also put a gallon, or so, into the keg and run it through the liquid side. I do that for the rinse, PBW, and StarSan cycles. I also run the same through the lines going to the faucets the keg came off of.

Any keg that's not getting filled right then (which has yet to happen) is left closed with some CO2 in it. I sometimes leave some StarSan solution in the keg, but just as often just leave it with CO2 in it.

I also make sure to shake the keg with both the PBW and StarSan in it to make sure it gets everywhere inside the keg. It's pretty easy for me, since I'm using 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs. :rockin:

I actually did this to a keg that I kicked late last night. I cleaned it and such after dinner tonight.

I wouldn't use dish soap. If you do rinse it really well afterwards becasue any remaining residue will kill your head retention. A soak with PBW, Oxyclean or something similar would be better.

I'd do an overnight soak with hot water and 1 oz. of PBW per gallon.

Check out the Keg Cleaner at www.carboycleaner.com. It's a slick device I use now that's paying for itself in PBW savings. My arm is long enough to reach the bottom, but my massive biceps prevent it from working. :D

My arm is long enough to reach the bottom, but my massive biceps prevent it from working. :D

I have to get my 13 year old son to help, going to have to get a carboy cleaner though because he seems to be growing fast.:)

Latest posts

Back