Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mold and condensation in fermentation freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
aekdbbop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Mold and condensation in fermentation freezer

Ok, I converted a chest freezer into a fermentation vessel with a temp controller..

Just bottled and kegged some EWA, and there was black mold all over my better bottle.. not worried about the wine, just don't want that to always happen..

So, is there just too much humidity? The walls of the freezer are wet and so is the floor.. so i am thinking i need a way to control that..

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

DampRid FTW!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

yeah? just get a bucket?

Old 10-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use this, set right inside the fermentation machine:

Old 10-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Yes, condensation and humidity are the culprits... well, that and mold spores floating around in the air. Damprid sounds like a good idea. The other partial solution is to make sure the freezer and outside of the better bottle gets regular cleaning/sanitizing. Mold can't grow on plastic because there is no food source. It grows on dust/dirt that accumulates on the plastic. So, it sounds like everything needs a good cleaning/disinfecting to get rid of your current mold problem. Then to prevent future ones, Damprid and regular cleaning should do the trick. (Also, keep in mind that, like yeast, mold doesn't thrive well in colder temperatures. So, in the 60s, they love it, but get down into the 30s and they don't do so well.)

END TRANSMISSION

Old 10-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Yes, condensation and humidity are the culprits... well, that and mold spores floating around in the air. Damprid sounds like a good idea. The other partial solution is to make sure the freezer and outside of the better bottle gets regular cleaning/sanitizing. Mold can't grow on plastic because there is no food source. It grows on dust/dirt that accumulates on the plastic. So, it sounds like everything needs a good cleaning/disinfecting to get rid of your current mold problem. Then to prevent future ones, Damprid and regular cleaning should do the trick. (Also, keep in mind that, like yeast, mold doesn't thrive well in colder temperatures. So, in the 60s, they love it, but get down into the 30s and they don't do so well.)
+1 for clean your stuff!

Also, if you have alot of mold spores in your home (or portions of your home) it can be extremely unhealthy and probably not a bad idea to get someone to check that out.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

yep, it has been out in the warm garage, with the dial set at 60 degrees.. It has been moist in there, plus i had some major blowoff from an earlier batch that wasn't cleaned up to well.. lol

Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a mop that I swipe thru mine to clean up the water that forms on the bottom once a day. Has helped cut down the mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Just to let you know, aekdbbop, I tried DampRid in my chest freezer and it didn't work for $hit. But, I got two of these:Eva Dry 500 and have never had a problem yet. In my chest freezer, they will work for about 2-3 weeks each. Then, when full, plug them into the wall overnight. The units burn out all the moisture, and you put them back into the freezer. They are amazing! Two of them works for my 20 c.f. chest freezer, so depending on the size of your unit and amount of moisture, 1-3 Eva Dry 500's or 300's should do the trick

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 10-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker_Brew View Post
Just to let you know, aekdbbop, I tried DampRid in my chest freezer and it didn't work for $hit. But, I got two of these:Eva Dry 500 and have never had a problem yet. In my chest freezer, they will work for about 2-3 weeks each. Then, when full, plug them into the wall overnight. The units burn out all the moisture, and you put them back into the freezer. They are amazing! Two of them works for my 20 c.f. chest freezer, so depending on the size of your unit and amount of moisture, 1-3 Eva Dry 500's or 300's should do the trick
hahaha, I clicked on the link there, and under "customers who bought this also bought", it had a bunch of other dehumidifiers...and Brewing Classic Styles.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply