Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > MLT Location on a Single Tier Question..
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Daves69's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 220
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default MLT Location on a Single Tier Question..

So I am currently in the process of building a solid strut single tier. The Strut was just ordered and should be here this week so I am starting to plan the configuration out in my head a little and one thing I would like some clarification on is why almost every positions the MLT either cooler or pot/keggle in the center of a 3 vessel system? I have 2 keggles HLT and BK and the classic 10Gal Rubbermaid round orange cooler with a false bottom for my MLT.

At present I see no pressing reason to swap this out for a keggle as my efficiency averages %72 and I am happy with that. So I am going to want to keep it away from those flame sources which means centered between two burners is the worse location for it. Is there some reason most mount it in the center? Is it just more stage orientated?

For those who do have a cooler centered between the kegs any issues with melting? Warping? How are you keeping it insulated from the flames? I should add that I am going the HERMS route so flames could be lit on both sides of the cooler it I do center it.

Thanks!

__________________
Daves69 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 22,236
Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

I'm sure it has more to do with a process flow mindset than anything else. I would put off to one side and shield the heat.

__________________
BrewHardware.com has a new website. Please check it out and let me know what you think!
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?
Bobby_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Daves69's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 220
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm sure it has more to do with a process flow mindset than anything else. I would put off to one side and shield the heat.
Thanks Bobby, that's kinda what I was thinking to so at present I am leaning to put in on the end. I could always adapt it later if I went to a keggle design for my MLT.
__________________
Daves69 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 22,236
Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

My system is HLT, BK, MLT and it was mostly due to my HLT burner being the most aggressive and used for more time during mash rests. Although I do light the BK burner while the mash is being sparged, the flame is more tame. That was my original rational anyway. Now that I have a heat tolerant insulation on the MLT, it doesn't matter at all anymore, other than being able to stand right in front of the MLT without burning my balls off.

__________________
BrewHardware.com has a new website. Please check it out and let me know what you think!
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?
Bobby_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Daves69's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 220
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Valid points, I do like the fact that I would be able to work 270 degrees around the MLT. Plus SWMBO will appreciate keeping the family jewels from getting torched!

__________________
Daves69 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,771
Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default

I had a cooler MLT (still use it occasionally for smaller batches) and it was in the middle between the HLT and the BK. Part of the reason was simply because I was running HERMS, and the HEX was in the HLT, so it was right next to it. When I changed to the keg MLT, I still left it in the middle for the HERMS.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Daves69's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 220
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
I had a cooler MLT (still use it occasionally for smaller batches) and it was in the middle between the HLT and the BK. Part of the reason was simply because I was running HERMS, and the HEX was in the HLT, so it was right next to it. When I changed to the keg MLT, I still left it in the middle for the HERMS.
I see your point but even though I don't plan on having my MLT in the center this doesn't mean I can't have it next to the HLT for the HERMS. I can configure it as such; MLT-HLT-BK. Main reason I asked the question was too see if there was a true reason to put it in the center or if some dude did it that way once upon a time and now that's just how the community does it lol
__________________
Daves69 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,771
Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves69 View Post
I see your point but even though I don't plan on having my MLT in the center this doesn't mean I can't have it next to the HLT for the HERMS. I can configure it as such; MLT-HLT-BK. Main reason I asked the question was too see if there was a true reason to put it in the center or if some dude did it that way once upon a time and now that's just how the community does it lol


At one time, I had a two tier, and gravity drained from the MLT to the BK so that's why it was next to the BK.

It still works that way for me because now I have two pumps. One pump is water only, always, and one pump is for wort. The wort pump sits between the MLT and the BK, while the water one sits between the HLT and MLT.

There are lots of ways people can set up their system, but with my MLT in the middle, it's always been perfect for me. I never had any issues with heat bothering my cooler, so I never really considered moving it.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Daves69's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 220
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
At one time, I had a two tier, and gravity drained from the MLT to the BK so that's why it was next to the BK.

It still works that way for me because now I have two pumps. One pump is water only, always, and one pump is for wort. The wort pump sits between the MLT and the BK, while the water one sits between the HLT and MLT.

There are lots of ways people can set up their system, but with my MLT in the middle, it's always been perfect for me. I never had any issues with heat bothering my cooler, so I never really considered moving it.

Were you insulating the coolers exterior somehow? Currently I have a three tier system and I use a piece of sheet metal to reflect the heat away from my MLT, before I started doing this you can see where the plastic has started to get shiny and deform just a tad.

I was thinking I would use diamond plate, two layers one under the frame and one over that the cooler actually sits on to provide some protection against melting... Or maybe I am just way over thinking this and I need to RDWHAHB?
__________________
Daves69 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,771
Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves69 View Post
Were you insulating the coolers exterior somehow? Currently I have a three tier system and I use a piece of sheet metal to reflect the heat away from my MLT, before I started doing this you can see where the plastic has started to get shiny and deform just a tad.

I was thinking I would use diamond plate, two layers one under the frame and one over that the cooler actually sits on to provide some protection against melting... Or maybe I am just way over thinking this and I need to RDWHAHB?
No, no insulation except for the stand itself which had some metal plating like the diamond plate you describe.

My HLT never got above 180, though. My BK of course boils. They are maybe 4 inches apart(?).
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single Tier (Brutus style) Paint Question MattyCascarillo Brew Stands 12 07-22-2013 05:05 PM
Single tier brew stand use question... Golddiggie Equipment/Sanitation 6 10-28-2012 11:55 PM
Single tier build and pump question nostalgia Brew Stands 6 06-12-2009 08:51 PM
single tier double pump question docmoran Equipment/Sanitation 4 01-17-2009 02:17 PM
Single Tier 3 Vessel Burner Question Displaced MassHole Brew Stands 0 10-29-2008 06:08 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS