The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > MLT Cooler Set Up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
BSBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default MLT Cooler Set Up

I am planning on going all grain after several extract and specialty grain brews. I am thinking of using a 10 gallon Rubbermaid round cooler for an MLT and a second one for HLT and found a couple of these coolers at Home Depot ($38 a piece!). However, I've read on a number of posts that these coolers warp either initially or over time. My questions are, how bad does it warp, does it effect the amount of volume in the MLT or HLT, how long can they be used before they need to be retired... I want to get a set up that will last a long time so I don't have to upgrade any time soon. Any advice out there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 01:54 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5985 Times on 5252 Posts
Likes Given: 673

mine bubbled a little the first time i poured strike water in it (Rubbermaid 10gallon); been fine since...

my guess is that it didn't affect more than a couple oz. of volume...

Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

mine warped too, however as long as it didn't crack (mine didn't) I didn't worry about it. I haven't noticed any temperature stability issues.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Quick Reply