Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mini All-Grain Trial Runs - Mash Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Lowry0031
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mini All-Grain Trial Runs - Mash Tun

In order to fine tune recipes, I am looking into doing small, 1 gallon AG brews.

What size of mash tun would I need to do a 1 gallon AG brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
brandonhagen1
this beer is good
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 13

your boil kettle should work for a batch that small

god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." — Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Lowry,a lot of folks use a 5 gallon cooler for their standard 5 gallon batches, so I guess theoretically you could do 1 gal batches in a 1 gallon cooler or your kettle, even a small dutch oven type pot on the stove.

But I probably won't be the only one to suggest just building a 5 gallon mash tun to start. The cost of materials and time to put together a DIY cooler mash tun will be the same and you'll be able to use it when you step up to full 5 gallon batches. In that vein, I'd also recommend stepping up the recipes a little larger than 1 gallon. You'll expend the same amount of time brewing 1 gallon as you would 3, 4, 5 gallons, but you'll lose alot of volume to hops, transferring, bottling etc. Plus, you'll need some pretty precise measuring equipment with grain/hop quantities that small. My 2 cents

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 01-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I used to do 2.5 gal AG BIABs in a 5gal pot on my stovetop.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I've put together a bit of a primer on small batch brewing here. I show a couple options for minimash tuns, including an unmodified 2 gallon cooler, and one of those 5 liter minikegs. Check it out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
Scottanooga
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I built a mini mash tun following this wiki. I brewed a 1 gallon batch last weekend and it worked fine. I already had a 10 gallon Igloo mash tun, which I figured was overkill for a 1 gallon batch.

Making a Partial Mash mash tun - Home Brewing Wiki

I'm brewing another 1 gallon batch this weekend. I think the small batches will be great for developing recipes.

mashtunoutside.jpg   mashtuninside.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

hey Lowry, I just reread my post and my intent wasn't to dissuade you from doing small-batch brews, just thought you might save a few bucks building a mash tun you could use for small batches and 5 gal batches alike

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
derekge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What about fly-sparging? Do you just do a similar setup?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
derekge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottanooga View Post
I built a mini mash tun following this wiki. I brewed a 1 gallon batch last weekend and it worked fine. I already had a 10 gallon Igloo mash tun, which I figured was overkill for a 1 gallon batch.

Making a Partial Mash mash tun - Home Brewing Wiki

I'm brewing another 1 gallon batch this weekend. I think the small batches will be great for developing recipes.
This is an awesome setup but for those, like me, who aren't handy and can't stand building stuff I found Home Brew Stuff online with this setup ready to go. http://www.homebrewstuff.com/2-gallon-mash-tun.html

It's $40 for just the 2 gal. mash tun (see attached pic) but I needed an HLT for fly-sparging. So I called them and they are building me a custom setup: the 2 gal. mash tun (link above) plus a sparge arm in the mash tun and a 2 gal. HLT with hosing! Total cost: $78 (includes tax and shipping).

Before you balk at the price let me share with you the total cost in parts alone that I was spending at Home Depot and Lowe's (not one place had all the parts) while trying to do it on my own: $88 - that's $44 per cooler setup. The total cost for the mash tun from the wiki link is $37 (before tax). If you add the $8 shipping cost to one from Home Brew Stuff you get a total of $48 (before tax). So for $11 more you can have a 2 gal. mash tun built for you! And for ~$40 more you can fly sparge with the added 2 gal. HLT!
2galmashtun.jpg  

Quick Reply