Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Milling Grain by Hand?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
cascades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I asked the same question back when I switched to all grain and was told hand cranking would suck. I use a standard corona mill (appropriately adjusted for the proper gap) and it is a lot of work to be sure. I sweat every time I do it but I actually enjoy it. I usually do a pound or two per arm then switch. Takes me around 30 min for 10 pounds give or take. FWIW, I'm glad I ignored the advice to go with an expensive model but I also realize most people don't enjoy that kind of thing.

Editing this post to say that I timed myself tonight and it actually only took 12 min. for 10 pounds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Mumbly
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso
Hi, I'm considering getting a crankandstein 2S. Just wondering if any of you guys mill grain by hand and how long it takes. My drill is crap and I dont want to buy a new one just yet.

Thanks

L
I did 2 batches by hand with a corona. Luckily my friend had an ancient craftsman drill laying around that took up the job. The corona has been upgraded to a Cereal killer, which is used for the big batches. The corona is now used for the 1 gallon batches and I still don't look forward to hand cranking even 3 pounds in it. Do yourself a favor, I know a lot of people recommend the cheap harbor freight drill.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

Yeah sounds very different from the normal BC/MM/C&S mills... and very very awesome!
Do you start cranking that thing to get the rollers going and then drop the grain in?
The fly wheel effect is not that strong.

forumrunner_20121120_092917.jpg

Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I did the handcrank on my Barley Crusher for 2 brews and they were 5G session beers. After milling 15# of grain for a larger beer, I ordered a drill before next brew day. Just too much work.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

+1 for doing it by hand. Just feels right. But do what you like. If you like the drill, go for it.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I feel like I do more for the beer by handcranking the crush with my Corona. I also like the control of the grind I get since every grain is a little bit different. It's also a nice initiation for the new brewers that come over.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
Chemkrafty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

All I hear is blah blah blah, I'm a pu$$y! Just teasin' folks, but I do like the exercise of the handcranking myself.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'll go against the grain on the above thoughts.. (pun intended)

I don't have the same grain mill as you, I have a Barley Crusher. I truly enjoy hand grinding the grain. When I first got the BC I used a drill. Later I started grinding by hand. In my experience the crush is better, my effeciency better and I've ground 17lbs in maybe 15-20 minutes. I didn't time it. To each their own, I enjoy manually hand grinding. It really is not hard to do, usually do the night before I brew. It's like foreplay to brewing.
I'm with you on this Dan. I enjoy doing double decoctions too and I'm going to do a triple decoction for a Boh Pils just as soon as I can get the ingredients. I also condition the malt with a spray bottle and about 4 or 5 oz of water beforehand and the crush is that much better because all the husks have gotten rubbery and not pulverized. I just enjoy the whole process and it never been a chore to me.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'll go against the grain on the above thoughts.. (pun intended)

I don't have the same grain mill as you, I have a Barley Crusher. I truly enjoy hand grinding the grain. When I first got the BC I used a drill. Later I started grinding by hand. In my experience the crush is better, my effeciency better and I've ground 17lbs in maybe 15-20 minutes. I didn't time it. To each their own, I enjoy manually hand grinding. It really is not hard to do, usually do the night before I brew. It's like foreplay to brewing.
I picture Dan standing there at his mill, turning the crank with one hand and smoking a pipe with the other, probably in a smoking jacket, staring into the distance and serenely contemplating the beauty of life. Probably his zen moment for the evening.

Actually, I've been planning forever to get a corona mill and crank by hand too, just been too lazy to order it. I really need to do so...

Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

My very first time using my Barley Crusher I used the hand crank. (Of course, the hand crank came with the mill and was not an extra cost item.) After having tried that, I decided to use the drill. I know many people use cordless drills. I use a corded drill. What I find to be more important is that you use a drill with a keyless chuck. This way you can easily attach and detach the drill from the mill. Having said this, I must admit that I purchased two drills so that I could set one up to drill holes, and the other to drive the screws when I am doing woodworking projects. Makr

Quick Reply