Millars Grain Mill reviews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to tell from description because there are very few specs given (length and diameter of the rollers?). I just got this one from Adventures in Homebrewing, which is currently priced at $99 delivered. I haven't used it yet, but it looks good.

Hmmmm, just tried to purchase one, but they won't send me an activation link to register.

Every other store seems to be out of stock of these so I pulled the trigger on one too. Their payment method is paypal so I used my paypal credit card, instead of cash through paypal, for some protection in case this goes south.

I ordered the 18th, and just came home and saw it on my doorstep.. in a medium sized priority mail box.. so that's pretty good fulfillment time . It's pretty easy to assemble. Smells of machine oil, so I think I might just run a pound through first and throw it away. as far as the adjustments go you can go from interlocking ie turning one wheel turns the other to what looks to be an 1/8 or a 1/6 of an inch wide.. The quality of the knurling though I'm not as impressed by, one of the rollers looks like it has smushed points in areas. I don't know if that will help the grain get pulled though or result in an inconsistent crush.. having not bought a grain mill before.. but it looks pretty good and I'm sure it's way better than a corona.

Any updates on the Millars Grain Mill or the Cereal Killer Mill? Are they any good? Pros, Cons?

Someone posted some thoughts on a recent Cereal Killer purchase. Shouldn't be too hard to find the thread.

I used my Millar's mill for the first time this weekend. Seemed ok. I did a BIAB wheat and got really good efficiency with a double crush. The hopper comes loose from the mill too easily, and the hopper in general is too lightweight. The vibration of the drill turning the mill loosened several small screws holding the hopper together. They were locked down tight to begin with. I think I'm going to need to buy bigger washers to help hold the hopper to the mill and to hold the hopper together.

I own a Millar's mill. I must mill my malt 2 times to get a 72 % efficiency. Cheap price but low quality.

Any updates on the Millars Grain Mill or the Cereal Killer Mill? Are they any good? Pros, Cons?

I own the Cereal Killer. I'm not happy with it. If I were to do it over again (and I probably will have to soon because it's getting worse) I would buy a better mill, like a Monster Mill.

I think there is a "new and improved" version of the Cereal Killer, but mine has very sloppy bushings -- there is a lot of play in the system, so you get an uneven crush. Some grains are completely pulverized, while others get through untouched.

I own the Millars. I have been frustrated with it for the last year. I have a mill on my wish list AGAIN this year for Xmas. I hate mine. Terrible customer service as well. Long story.....
Its now for sale....

A bit of an old link but wanted to post what info I have. I purchased the Millar's grain mill, B3 series around October 2013. I had emaield them to ask if they would ship to a APO/FPO/DPO address and they replied right away. It came to my military overseas location in no time and was packed very well compared to some items I received from other stores. It has a protective coating on all surfaces so not a scratch on it. I removed the protective coatings and put it together. There were instructions included but hey, let's face it, I'm a man, it is man made, I can figure it out.

Assembly - easy. Everything fit perfectly. They even include an allen wrench for putting it together. They also provided some self adhesive black soft rubber to go around the hopper edges to protect from cuts but I figured that would look like ass after a few months use and opted to leave it off. I put the rubber on the bottom so it wouldn't scratch the coutner top or move around on the bucket when I was milling.

Adjustment - easy. After determining the the roller spacing I wanted to use, I made my adjustments. I didn't have feeler gauges at the time but I took a micrometer and measure a few household items to thickness. I found that an old credit card seemed to be about right at .031 or so. I'm going off memeory right now but I beleive that was the number I went with.

Use - easy. After getting everything set up, I first had to give it a go with the hand crank. Easy enough but with 10 lbs of grain to do, I quickly moved to the drill. I detached the handle and put on my drill. I used an 18V Dewalt but I would recommend using a corded drill as most others do. Damn, what a lot fo dust that thing makes with the drill. Life lesson #457 - 10 lbs of unmilled grain may fit in my small bucket but 10lbs of milled grain will not. be sure to get a bigger bucket(5 gal) for the output side. The hopper will hold 10lbs of grain itself. I did this outside as to not contaminate my brew area whcih I read about in the forum. I have since switched back to the hand crank. I have found that milling 10lb or so grain by hand isn't that bad. I may do a 55 lbs sack in a 4-6 weeks' time so it's not like it's all at once. The reduction of dust and the little bit of exercise iis worth it I suppose. It's also one less tool to put away or in my case, one less tool out of the garage and in the house causing the wife to *****.

Clean up- easy. I hosed it off inside with hot water from the kitch sink. I was sure to get the rollers by moving them around. Millar's includes some sort of environmentally safe cleaner but I've yet to use it. I just use water and a dish towel/soap if needed.

Results - I'm a happy camper. It's American built and does what's ask of it. The company was responsive to my emails and shipped to my DPO address. It's easy to use and so far has yet to fail. The roller teeth seem to be as sharp as they were when I got it although I've only ran about 200 lbs of grain through it. At some point when I move back to the US and have a bigger garage I may make a floor stand and adapt a motor and pulley to it. For now, I'm sticking with the hand crank.

There are plenty of other models out there and this is the one I chose after doing some research on mills. The reasons I chose this model was 1)Price 2)American made 3) Reputation from other post on the internet. I hope that this helps you decide on a model in your quest for the best mill within your budget.
handmill.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Back