Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mill Advice

Ok so I am getting a mill.

Any advice?

Crankandstein, Monster, Barley crusher?

2 or 3 roller?

I saw Monster has a 1.5 and 2" diameter 2 roller mill. What is the advantages of the bigger diameter rollers?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I can only speak about the Barley Crusher, as that's all I have or used. I love the thing and have no bad things to say.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmedic
Ok so I am getting a mill.

Any advice?

Crankandstein, Monster, Barley crusher?

2 or 3 roller?

I saw Monster has a 1.5 and 2" diameter 2 roller mill. What is the advantages of the bigger diameter rollers?

thanks
If money isnt a problem then go all out with adjustable 3 roller with the biggest roller they got with a hopper to hold 25lbs of grain for 10 gallon batches :-) I would assume the bigger the roller the bigger the surface area the more even the crush!!
Either way make sure u can hook up a drill motor to it + make sure it is gear driven! Have fun shop'n

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

IMO, any of the commonly available home brewing class of malt mills are capable of producing high quality grist regardless of the number or diameter of the rollers. My choice for best value, high quality desigan and construction would be the Monster Mill MM-2:

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-2.html

I would not recommend spending the extra money for a three roller mill, stainless steel rollers, larger diameter or gear driven rollers unless, of course, you just want to impress the neighbors. If that's the case, by all means go for it, but spending a lot of money on a mill will do nothing at all to improve your beer. Just my take on it, nothing more.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have the Monster Mill MM-2, and think it's great. Great price too.
Only bit of advice is to get a set of feeler gauges to set your gap.

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have been quite happy with the Barley Crusher.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They all (roller mills) crush malt with very similar results. Just pick one with the features that you need at a price that fits your budget. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
IMO, any of the commonly available home brewing class of malt mills are capable of producing high quality grist regardless of the number or diameter of the rollers. My choice for best value, high quality desigan and construction would be the Monster Mill MM-2:

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-2.html

I would not recommend spending the extra money for a three roller mill, stainless steel rollers, larger diameter or gear driven rollers unless, of course, you just want to impress the neighbors. If that's the case, by all means go for it, but spending a lot of money on a mill will do nothing at all to improve your beer. Just my take on it, nothing more.
Is the MM-2 really worth the extra money compared with the one from Barley Crusher??

Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Is the MM-2 really worth the extra money compared with the one from Barley Crusher??
IMO, yes. The main reason that I would choose the MM is that the axles are an integral part of the roller. IOW, they are machined as a single unit vs. relatively short, press fit pins on the BC IIRC. I think the Crankenstein uses threaded pins. It's been awhile since I've taken a close look at any of these mills, so the designs may have changed since then. Something to look into though. There are tons of happy BC and Crankenstein users out there and the same for all of the other available mills. That's the problem when inquiring about mills in a thread like this. Only rarely will anyone tell you they do not like the mill they have and the problems they encounter are typically due to lack of or poor maintenance habits and not actually something wrong with the mill itself. The good news is that you can't really go wrong with any of them. Some people even use the Corona corn grinders or modified pasta makers as malt mills and they too gush all over them. Home brewers tend to be very brand loyal for some odd reason and will defend whatever it is that they happen to have no matter what. Are you a Chevy man or a Ford man, eh? IMO, mills is mills with only very minor differences from one to the next. Toyota for me BTW.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah, I drive Toyota too...

JSP 2 roller gear drive adjustable Malt Mill for me. Works like a charm.

Quick Reply