Mill Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I am getting a mill.

Any advice?

Crankandstein, Monster, Barley crusher?

2 or 3 roller?

I saw Monster has a 1.5 and 2" diameter 2 roller mill. What is the advantages of the bigger diameter rollers?

thanks

If you read through these threads (question comes up regularly) you'll find that everyone recommends the one they use. That tells me that they're all pretty good and you're unlikely to go wrong with whatever you choose. :D

I'm actually on the cusp of getting a crusher too, and would like the same questions answered. I like the price of the Barley Crusher, but need to know if the 2 roller Monster Mill is worth the extra money (it's about $50 more to get it set up almost the same, with hopper and base)... I'd rather spend less, but if there's a large enough difference in quality, then I'll spend what it takes.

I'm about to have close to 400# of grain on hand, which I expect to go through most of within 12 months... So I'll need something that can stand up to that much use (every 2 weeks, BREW DAY!)...

I'll probably be connecting my cordless drill to it (1/2" chuck 18v DeWalt), but having a hand crank is a good option (just in case)...

Also, do I really NEED the larger rollers (2") or will the 1.5" do the job for home brewing? I'm not going to be milling grain for the entire region after all. I am pretty sure I'll want steel rollers though, not aluminum.

Back