I've been regulating temperature by keeping my fermenters in the tub filled with water, and with towels wrapped around them to cool them off via evaporation. I also have a gallon jug full of water that I freeze regularly and put into the tub to lower temps.
Well, I walked into my fermentation chamber today and there was an overpowering, pungent mildew smell.
I immediately drained the tub, tossed the towels in the washer, and sprayed EVERYTHING (including the outsides of my active fermenters) with star-san. Is this going to be enough, or should I use bleach?
I just hope the porter and cider are safe (the airlock is filled with vodka)! I don't want to open them to test though, because I'm worried about accidentally contaminating them just by opening them.
How do I prevent mildew? Should I just not use the towels anymore? Or sanitize and change water and towels more frequently? Or use old T-Shirts instead of towels?