Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Metallic taste and my brew pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #11
casebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I had a "wrong metalurgy" stainless false bottom that put some metalic taste into a couple batchs. Or maybe soaking it in chlorine (a no-no for stainless) did something to it's surface . It has rusted since I stopped using it...

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #12
iloman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Geez, I feel bad that I kinda hijacked your thread with the metallurgy discussion. To get back to the point, the Star San bath should do the trick whether it's stainless or aluminum. I'm guessing that it's an aluminum pot, as stainless shouldn't leave a metallic flavor like that, even after being scrubbed bare.
No worries on where the thread went, I was getting a kick out of it and even chuckled as I told the wife about it.

So based on everyone's feedback - this thing is aluminum. I'm going to go for the Star San bath instead of putting it in the oven for 6 hours since I don't really want to run my electric oven for 6 hours. Between the electric $$$ and having to keep my 20 month old away from the oven/kitchen for that long the chemical solution is definitly the easiest to try.

I'm kicking around the idea of an altbier for the next batch, or a california common, and hopefully whatever I go with won't have that flavor lingering around.

Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply