Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Mechanical Scale for Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/mechanical-scale-brewing-344274/)

Curtis2010 07-28-2012 05:05 PM

Mechanical Scale for Brewing
 
Here in the tropics fancy little electronic devices don't typically last very long. Predictably, my small electronic scale has died. So, next time around I want a good basic mechanical scale, which can be calibrated, and which can reasonably accurately measure small quantities for brewing (like hops) down to at least 1/4 oz scale.

Any suggestions?

Dunerunner 07-28-2012 06:25 PM

You mean like this http://www.itinscales.com/pbestwt.htm


http://www.becheriniscalecenter.com/images/CCI.jpg

Curtis2010 07-30-2012 11:23 PM

Yup, have you used this one?

Rip 07-31-2012 07:40 PM

I'd suggest picking up a used 'triple beam scale', they are accurate and very very durable... a used one can be had for around $20 plus shipping.

I've actually used one of these for over 15 years and never had a single problem.
I just recently upgraded to a digital scale so people would stop asking if I was a drug dealer :confused:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...scale&_sacat=0


M

Curtis2010 08-01-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip (Post 4295408)
I'd suggest picking up a used 'triple beam scale', they are accurate and very very durable... a used one can be had for around $20 plus shipping.

I've actually used one of these for over 15 years and never had a single problem.
I just recently upgraded to a digital scale so people would stop asking if I was a drug dealer :confused:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...scale&_sacat=0


M


That's a fine idea! Think I just found my solution. Thanks.

mpcluever 08-02-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip (Post 4295408)
I just recently upgraded to a digital scale so people would stop asking if I was a drug dealer

Lol that's when I started GETTING questions about drugs...

Dunerunner 08-05-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis2010 (Post 4293048)
Yup, have you used this one?

I own one that is similar. I bought it at a garage sale for $25! :mug:

Curtis2010 08-06-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerunner (Post 4306625)
I own one that is similar. I bought it at a garage sale for $25! :mug:

Yes, I've found several on eBay from about $45 and less. Which make/model do you have?

Rip 08-21-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis2010 (Post 4308015)
Yes, I've found several on eBay from about $45 and less. Which make/model do you have?

IMO: Ohaus 700 series - triple beam.
Make sure you don't get a 'balance scale', I think those need calibrated weights.
A proper beam scale has only one platform (silver metal plate).
You might want to also check if it's metric or imperial - grams vs ounces.

How to use one of this thingies:
http://www.ohaus.com/input/tutorials/tbb/tbbentry.swf


M


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.