Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Measuring Sparge & Strike Water on Brew Sculptures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Measuring Sparge & Strike Water on Brew Sculptures

Since I started building my new HERMS system http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/anot...-clock-135250/ I have been racking my brain on how I am going to accurately measure strike and sparge water volume.

The system is constructed of converted kegs and most of the plumbing is hard copper. Anyway how do you guys with single or two tier systems measure your water volumes? Do you rely on a sight glass, measuring with some other device or just estimate?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"Wow! What a Ride!""

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dont use herms, but the brewing buckets with measuring lines is what I use. I usually fill 2 of them up to the 5 gallon mark on brew day and use the water out of those

Old 10-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

sight glass/estimate = beer

can I religiously produce the exact same beer every time I brew - boring... that would be if I was in the business of brewing.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkD2 View Post
I dont use herms, but the brewing buckets with measuring lines is what I use. I usually fill 2 of them up to the 5 gallon mark on brew day and use the water out of those
That is the problem everything is hard plumbed into the mash tun and as or right now I did not incorporate a flexible hose into the system. Also and most importantly the strike water is going to come directly from the HERMS heater to the mash tun for strike water at required temperature.

What I need to figure out is that once I start filling the mash tun when do I stop adding water (how do I know I have the required ammount) for strike

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"Wow! What a Ride!""

Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Sight glass on the HLT tells me when to stop filling it. When filling the MLT from the HLT, I watch the sight glass until the level dropped the volume I wanted to go into the MLT. It doesn't care if the transfer lines are opaque or not.

How is your strike water going to come from your HERMS heater? Do you mean a RIMS heating element? If so, You'd want to have a sight glass on your MLT.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 10-16-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Sight glass on the HLT tells me when to stop filling it. When filling the MLT from the HLT, I watch the sight glass until the level dropped the volume I wanted to go into the MLT. It doesn't care if the transfer lines are opaque or not.

How is your strike water going to come from your HERMS heater? Do you mean a RIMS heating element? If so, You'd want to have a sight glass on your MLT.
Bobby thanks for the reply. I am not using an HLT in this design therfore the water path essentally goes like this:
- water in from garden hose to pump1
- from pump1 it goes into the heater (rims)
- from the heater to the counterflow chiller
- from the counterflow chiller through a series of valves and onto the mash tun

I am relying on the heater to get the water to strike temp before mashing in. A closer look at the line routing can be see in the link below.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/anot...-clock-135250/
I do have two sight gauges sitting at home and thought I might use one of those to determine proper level. I do like the idea of watching the gauge on the HLT dropping to determine water level. That is not a bad idea but does defeat the purpose of using a heater because I would then loose all that heat while water is sitting in the HLT. I do have an extra keg because when I started designing this system I was going to go with a typical HERMS design with three tanks (HLT, MT and boil kettle) Therefore since I am still in the building stages it would not be a big deal to add the tank in case I need to use it.

What about a flowmeter. Has anybody used a simple flowmeter before? However a sight glass in the mash tun would probably be the simplest way.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The flow meters that are accurate enough for our small volumes, and capable of high temps, are also really expensive. I don't have any handy links for you but I know that was my conclusion when I saw the price. Something like $200 vs. a $20 sight glass.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4748 Times on 4380 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Graduated sight glasses in Quarts and gallons. Graduations marked in both directions on each Sg for additive or subtractive quick reference.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
harley03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Graduated sight glasses in Quarts and gallons. Graduations marked in both directions on each Sg for additive or subtractive quick reference.
Wouldn't a sight glass on a mash tun get plugged up. I guess if I am adding strike water first and then the grain I probably would not worry about it. When it comes time to clean just flush some cleaner or water through to cleanit out. Is this correct?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4748 Times on 4380 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley03 View Post
Wouldn't a sight glass on a mash tun get plugged up. I guess if I am adding strike water first and then the grain I probably would not worry about it. When it comes time to clean just flush some cleaner or water through to cleanit out. Is this correct?
Only on HLT and Kettle for me.

My strikes are cold and not based on a static ratio. The graduations serve me only for Toatal water, sparging deduction, and then finally boil target volume.

My method is to provide foundation water, add grist, underlet to 2 Inches above grain bed, power mix, strike the heat, and recirculate to and through rest period. The Brew-Magic way.

Quick Reply